Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JimDickens JimDickens is offline

Default How can I add a large number of correction pairs to AutoCorrect

I would like to add 2000+ pairs to the AutoCorrect list in Word 2007 and Word
2006 and Word 2005. Everything that I have seen on the Microsoft site says
that I have to write a macro. Is there some other utility or function that
would allow me to do it.

I really am not being petty here but I am betting that you have a copies of
WordPerfect 12 for research on the competition -- Wordperfect 10 and 12 have
the capability that I am requesting from you. They just add it like a
dictionary.

Does Word have that capability? If so, where is it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Jim,

No Word doesn't have that capability that I know of. But then
WordPerfect12 doesn't have the "Ribbon" like Word2007 ;-)

Here is a link to a Tips page that shows you how to add multiple
autocorrect entries:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/AutoCorrect_Generator.htm

On Sep 9, 8:20 pm, JimDickens
wrote:
I would like to add 2000+ pairs to the AutoCorrect list in Word 2007 and Word
2006 and Word 2005. Everything that I have seen on the Microsoft site says
that I have to write a macro. Is there some other utility or function that
would allow me to do it.

I really am not being petty here but I am betting that you have a copies of
WordPerfect 12 for research on the competition -- Wordperfect 10 and 12 have
the capability that I am requesting from you. They just add it like a
dictionary.

Does Word have that capability? If so, where is it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Would you mind providing an example of "pairs"? I am an old WP user and
have never heard of this feature?

"JimDickens" wrote in message
I would like to add 2000+ pairs to the AutoCorrect list in Word 2007 and
Word
2006 and Word 2005. Everything that I have seen on the Microsoft site
says
that I have to write a macro. Is there some other utility or function
that
would allow me to do it.

I really am not being petty here but I am betting that you have a copies
of
WordPerfect 12 for research on the competition -- Wordperfect 10 and 12
have
the capability that I am requesting from you. They just add it like a
dictionary.

Does Word have that capability? If so, where is it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Those were better known as Word 11.5 and Word 11.6. I'm surprised you missed
them. 11.5 had a lace interface, while 11.6 had a duct tape interface. It
wasn't until 12.0 (2007) that they came up with the ribbon... odd, yes, but
a nice compromise under the circumstances.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

JimDickens wrote:

I would like to add 2000+ pairs to the AutoCorrect list in Word 2007 and
Word 2006 and Word 2005. Everything that I have seen on the Microsoft
site says that I have to write a macro. Is there some other utility or
function that would allow me to do it.

I really am not being petty here but I am betting that you have a copies
of WordPerfect 12 for research on the competition -- Wordperfect 10 and
12 have the capability that I am requesting from you. They just add it
like a dictionary.

Does Word have that capability? If so, where is it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JimDickens JimDickens is offline

Default How can I add a large number of correction pairs to AutoCorrec

Yes

I would like to add pairs like abalaster,alabaster and ablaster,alabaster
and so forth but I have quite a few that I want to add.

"Summer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As indicated, you'd probably need a macro to add the pairs. On the bright
side, there is no maximum "number" of autocorrect pairs you can add...
according to Microsoft, you're limited only by hard disk space and available
memory. I've never hit a limit, but then again, I've never added 2000+
pairs.

I'm not familiar enough with WordPerfect to know what it can do in this
regard, but I do recall that XyWrite could do what you want, since the
equivalent of AutoCorrect was stored in an easy-to-access/edit file.

I said you'd *probably* need to write a macro. An alternative exists if
you're able to understand the format used for .acl files--which is where
unformatted AutoCorrect entries are stored. Running Office 2007 in Vista, I
see .acl files in two locations, and they are identical in both (here, at
least):

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Offic e

C:\Users\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Office

There are different .acl files for different languages. The ones for US
English in Office 2007 are named:

MSO1033.acl

If I were going about this task... I would begin by temporarily renaming the
existing .acl files as something else, then create a new file with a single
AutoCorrect entry, and look at the resulting .acl with a binary
viewer/editor to try to get a handle on the structure. Then add an entry,
and observe how it changes. Finally, I'd use a binary editor to take my
2000+ list and see if I could add the necessary structure/coding to convert
it into an .acl file.

This might sound a bit complex, and it might be. However, I'd be amazed if
some smart VBA programmer couldn't whip out a program to convert a text file
or a .doc/.docx file (with AutoCorrect entries stored as a table) into an
..acl file. I googled a bit, but I don't see where anyone has done this yet.
But, I didn't spend a lot of time searching.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What JimDickens means is the x,y pairs of "Replace x with y" in Tools |
AutoCorrect Options.

so
all may benefit.

"Summer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure whether it's certified for Word 2007, but I believe the macro
available from http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...utocorrect.htm
produces a plain text file into which such pairs can be introduced.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What JimDickens means is the x,y pairs of "Replace x with y" in Tools |
AutoCorrect Options.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Summer" wrote in message
[...]

How do I print very large fonts ie number plates? HowburyPete Microsoft Word Help 2 April 26th 21 04:14 PM
How do I write an A5 booklet that pairs the pages for printing? Tinkerfoxe Page Layout 1 October 9th 06 04:50 PM
Table row alignment across page pairs Csaba Gabor Tables 3 March 31st 06 12:22 AM
language pairs Tom Microsoft Word Help 1 September 27th 05 03:14 AM
Cannot save with large number of equations Anauna New Users 3 March 25th 05 07:01 AM