Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] gina8800@gmail.com is offline

Default Disappearing buttons, Word2007

Hi everyone. This is my first time here, so I hope I'm asking this
right.

We are in a panic. We have a nice "add in file" someone made for us
long ago that we've used for years. It used to put 6 special buttons
on the toobar, and each button did a pretty big set of important
steps, fast. He said they were macros. We used them on about 20 or
30 documents, twice a day. They were a great time saver, becauuse
before we got these buttons it used to take us all day to do this.

They told us our buttons would still work in Word2007, so we paid for
the up grade last week. But we dont see them anywhre now. Where are
they? We need to keep using them. I'm having to drive files home
twice a day to my own computer, just to run the procedures on time.
Help??????

Gina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That's not possible to answer because we don't know how the developers added
the buttons. They have created the macros, saved them to a template file
which is loaded from the Word Start-up. The command buttons should have been
coded to a new Ribbon Tab or they may have taken an easy way and added them
to the QAT. You need to ask them for support. They wrote it and sold it, so
they should support it.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone. This is my first time here, so I hope I'm asking this
right.

We are in a panic. We have a nice "add in file" someone made for us
long ago that we've used for years. It used to put 6 special buttons
on the toobar, and each button did a pretty big set of important
steps, fast. He said they were macros. We used them on about 20 or
30 documents, twice a day. They were a great time saver, becauuse
before we got these buttons it used to take us all day to do this.

They told us our buttons would still work in Word2007, so we paid for
the up grade last week. But we dont see them anywhre now. Where are
they? We need to keep using them. I'm having to drive files home
twice a day to my own computer, just to run the procedures on time.
Help??????

Gina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What was their "add-in" file? A template? If so then is the template in your
Office\Startup folder or Word Startup folder?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone. This is my first time here, so I hope I'm asking this
right.

We are in a panic. We have a nice "add in file" someone made for us
long ago that we've used for years. It used to put 6 special buttons
on the toobar, and each button did a pretty big set of important
steps, fast. He said they were macros. We used them on about 20 or
30 documents, twice a day. They were a great time saver, becauuse
before we got these buttons it used to take us all day to do this.

They told us our buttons would still work in Word2007, so we paid for
the up grade last week. But we dont see them anywhre now. Where are
they? We need to keep using them. I'm having to drive files home
twice a day to my own computer, just to run the procedures on time.
Help??????

Gina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Sep 12, 8:12 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
That's not possible to answer because we don't know how the developers added
the buttons. They have created the macros, saved them to a template file
which is loaded from the Word Start-up. The command buttons should have been
coded to a new Ribbon Tab or they may have taken an easy way and added them
to the QAT. You need to ask them for support. They wrote it and sold it, so
they should support it.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi everyone. This is my first time here, so I hope I'm asking this
right.

We are in a panic. We have a nice "add in file" someone made for us
long ago that we've used for years. It used to put 6 special buttons
on the toobar, and each button did a pretty big set of important
steps, fast. He said they were macros. We used them on about 20 or
30 documents, twice a day. They were a great time saver, becauuse
before we got these buttons it used to take us all day to do this.

They told us our buttons would still work in Word2007, so we paid for
the up grade last week. But we dont see them anywhre now. Where are
they? We need to keep using them. I'm having to drive files home
twice a day to my own computer, just to run the procedures on time.
Help??????

Gina- Hide quoted text -

Hello, I'm sorry this took so long. I couldn't figureout how to get
back to where I sent the msesage.

It was a present, we didn't pay anything for it, and we can't call
the man who gave it to us, he moved away several years ago and we
understand he was killed in a car accident at some point. ;( But
once he did explain to me, or try to explain, how it worked. It
"builds" buttons on the toolbar, we saw them just appear each time we
started up Word. He showed me the "code" oncebut of course i just
glazed over. All I remember is it had to do with "command bars."
but it wasn't a new "bar" just some buttons on the old one. he did
talk about a "startup" but I thought that was just slang, is it a
foldere on the computer?. The name of the file ends in dot instead of
doc, he said that was important.

Anyway It worked fine in Word2000 and again in Word2003, so this has
us upset that we can't see the buttons anymore. sorry if i sound
dense........ i guess i am.

thanks,
Gina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] gina8800@gmail.com is offline

On Sep 12, 10:29 pm, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htmshould help explain how old
toolbars are used and made available.

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

wrote:
Hi everyone. This is my first time here, so I hope I'm asking this
right.

We are in a panic. We have a nice "add in file" someone made for us
long ago that we've used for years. It used to put 6 special buttons
on the toobar, and each button did a pretty big set of important
steps, fast. He said they were macros. We used them on about 20 or
30 documents, twice a day. They were a great time saver, becauuse
before we got these buttons it used to take us all day to do this.

They told us our buttons would still work in Word2007, so we paid for
the up grade last week. But we dont see them anywhre now. Where are
they? We need to keep using them. I'm having to drive files home
twice a day to my own computer, just to run the procedures on time.
Help??????

Gina- Hide quoted text -

oH, wow. This looks like it could help. I'll have to sit down and
read it through, but it sounds like other peole have had the same
problem. thank you sir (in advance I guess)
Gina.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Morever... rather than relying on the old toolbar buttons, you also have the
option of putting buttons for those macros onto the Quick Access Toolbar.
That way, they would be available all the time, not just when the Add-ins
tab is visible. Word 2007 doesn't provide a built-in way to edit buttons,
but there's a pretty decent selection of built-in icons you can use.

To get you started... right-click the Quick Access Toolbar, and choose
Customize QAT. Set Choose commands from: to Macros. Select the macro(s) you
want in the left pane, then click Add to put them onto the QAT.

Use the Modify button to choose the symbol to use for the button. You can
use Display Name to change the text you see when the mouse pointer hovers
over the tool button in the QAT. Click OK when done.

Use the Move Up/Move Down buttons to put them where you want, as desired.
Then click OK.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Of course you can do that - but the Add-ins toolbar does give you more real
estate for buttons and you can use the original button images. Neither is
really an ideal solution. Next step is to consider
http://ribboncustomizer.com/ but that would need the add-in application
re-developing

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
[...]

ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

When it was given to you what were the instructions for use? IOW, were you
told it needed to be in a specific folder? Did it have an installation
program? If you can help us with these questions then we should be able to
help you get it working again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I suspect it was an add-in that needs to be stored in Word's Startup folder.
You can find the path for that in whatever the current equivalent is of the
File Locations tab of Tools | Options in earlier versions (start with Office
Button | Word Options, then probably Advanced).

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
When it was given to you what were the instructions for use? IOW, were you
told it needed to be in a specific folder? Did it have an installation
program? If you can help us with these questions then we should be able to
help you get it working again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

how to use check buttons or options buttons in a mail document myva Mailmerge 1 June 19th 07 11:55 AM
toolbar buttons added keep disappearing baileysmommy3 Microsoft Word Help 1 February 16th 07 10:12 AM
Less used toolbar buttons are disappearing... how to disable this "feature" Erik New Users 3 July 11th 06 05:06 AM
word2007 gogaiobashvili New Users 3 April 17th 06 07:13 AM
Add Buttons to Menu - Buttons don't stay Jason Ryon Microsoft Word Help 6 September 28th 05 04:20 AM