Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Default Unable to insert chapter numbers and title in footer in Word 2003

I am unable to follow the help menu directions. I have sections and the page
numbers are fine. What I want is Intro 1-1, Intro 1-2, Intro 1-3,..., Start
2-1, Start 2-2, etc. When I try to do just the chapter numbers, I get crazy
sequences within and between sections, such as 2-1, 4-2, 5-3, all in the same
section. I haven't been successful at any text. This whole thing ought to be
easy. Are there any simple directions? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:12:00 -0700, John
wrote:

I am unable to follow the help menu directions. I have sections and the page
numbers are fine. What I want is Intro 1-1, Intro 1-2, Intro 1-3,..., Start
2-1, Start 2-2, etc. When I try to do just the chapter numbers, I get crazy
sequences within and between sections, such as 2-1, 4-2, 5-3, all in the same
section. I haven't been successful at any text. This whole thing ought to be
easy. Are there any simple directions? Thanks.

See if you can do better with the instructions in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Default Unable to insert chapter numbers and title in footer in Word 2

Thanks, Jay. Your link still didn't help. Using the directions there, for
each chapter, including the first, I get a "2" for the chapter number. Never
could get them to number themselves, including starting with "1" . Also, I
am unable to find out how to insert text for a chapter title with it. I am
still lost.

Also, I don't have the sequence mentioned in the reference, of
FormatStyleModifyformatNumbering. All I have is FormatStyles and
Formatting, and then you select one.

I still don't know what to do.

wrote:

I am unable to follow the help menu directions. I have sections and the page
numbers are fine. What I want is Intro 1-1, Intro 1-2, Intro 1-3,..., Start
2-1, Start 2-2, etc. When I try to do just the chapter numbers, I get crazy
sequences within and between sections, such as 2-1, 4-2, 5-3, all in the same
section. I haven't been successful at any text. This whole thing ought to be
easy. Are there any simple directions? Thanks.

See if you can do better with the instructions in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

After clicking Format Styles and Formatting, right-click the style
name in the Styles and Formatting pane and choose Modify from the
popup menu. Then continue from that point in the instructions.

wrote:

I am unable to follow the help menu directions. I have sections and the page
numbers are fine. What I want is Intro 1-1, Intro 1-2, Intro 1-3,..., Start
2-1, Start 2-2, etc. When I try to do just the chapter numbers, I get crazy
sequences within and between sections, such as 2-1, 4-2, 5-3, all in the same
section. I haven't been successful at any text. This whole thing ought to be
easy. Are there any simple directions? Thanks.

See if you can do better with the instructions in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Thanks again, Jay. This is not working. I tried it and all I got was that the
entire document had a "9" for the chapter. Also I could not find where to key
in any words I want to appear in the footer in each section. I am writing a
manual for dancing, and each chapter has a different dance aspect. I have
already separated each aspect into sections, so each one page numbers
separately. But I want the chapter name and number to appear in the footer
along with the page number. The first chapter is about the Whip, so in the
footer I want Whip 1-1, Whip 1-2, Whip 1-3, etc. the second chapter is about
the Tuck, so in the footer there I want Tuck 2-1, Tuck 2-2, Tuck 2-3, etc.
The third chapter is about Style, so want Style 3-1, Style 3-2, Style 3-3,
etc. And so on. I add to each chapter sepatately from time to time, and I
want the footers to have the appropriate name, chapter number, and page
number.

Right now, my only option is to create separate Word documents, rather than
one document with sections, which I would rather not do.

The Microsoft Help menu and the reference you gave me do not help. I am not
a techie or a Word guru, so I need straight-forward directions. I am using
Word 2003.

wrote:

I am unable to follow the help menu directions. I have sections and the page
numbers are fine. What I want is Intro 1-1, Intro 1-2, Intro 1-3,..., Start
2-1, Start 2-2, etc. When I try to do just the chapter numbers, I get crazy
sequences within and between sections, such as 2-1, 4-2, 5-3, all in the same
section. I haven't been successful at any text. This whole thing ought to be
easy. Are there any simple directions? Thanks.

See if you can do better with the instructions in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use the "Include chapter number" feature to add the chapter number and a
StyleRef field to insert the chapter title (but note that the latter won't
be part of the page number in the TOC).

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Thanks, Suzanne.

OK. I will give up typing in the chapter title for now and just settle for
the chapter number, as I do not know what a StyleRef field is.

I have the document in sections and the pages are numbered just fine within
each section. Each section starts off automatically with 1 for the first page
in the section. But then here is what happens.

I put the cursor in the middle of the first page of the first section. I
click InsertPage NumbersFormat and get a Page Number Format menu. I check
Include chapter number. Within this menu, the Number format is 1,2,3,€¦ The
Chapter starts with style Heading 1. The Use separator is a hyphen. The Page
numbering is Start at 1. I click OK. What I get in the first section is 2-1,
2-2, 2-3, etc. There are no chapter numbers in the subsequent sections.

I repeat the same process for the next two sections, and the result I get is
that they are both still chapter 2.

So why does it not number the chapter numbers 1,2,3, €¦ instead of 2,2,2,€¦? A
couple of days ago it was 9,9,9,€¦ How do I get it to recognize which chapter
is which?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For help with the StyleRef field, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm (and Word's Help file).

For help with chapter numbering, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm. Note that you must be
using a built-in heading style with auto numbering in order to use the

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use the "Include chapter number" feature to add the chapter number and a
StyleRef field to insert the chapter title (but note that the latter

won't
be part of the page number in the TOC).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. You are obviously an expert in all this. I will read through
your Word tutorial site to see what I can learn that will help me. I really
appreciate your taking the time to try to help me.

I may not be able to do what I want to do, as I am not an expert at all
this. There are so many terms in your site and in the help menu and in the
other references that are foreign to me. I thought I had a simple task, but
obviously it isn't. I just don't understand why it is so complicated to put
even just the chapter numbers on the pages along with the page numbers.

Thanks again. I'll post another reply after my next attempt.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It *is* complicated, but once you have done it, it's pretty simple! Does
that make sense? Everything is harder the first time you try to do it. Keep
plugging, and you'll get it figured out!

wrote:

[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so all may benefit.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Suzanne,

Thanks to your tutorial on Using Headers and Footers - What happens when you
have more than one section, I am now able to have the chapter title in the
footer for each section. After entering the title for the first section, I
went to the second section, got to the footer and clicked the Same as
Previous button to turn off the link, and entered the second title, etc.

I did the same for the chapter number, inserting a €œ1 - € just before the
page number for the first chapter, €œ2 - € for the second chapter, and so on.
This is my simple-minded way of achieving what I wanted rather than using
what was suggested in the Help menu under €œInsert the chapter number and
title in a header or footer,€ which to me was totally unintelligible. It
seemed to be written for book publishers.

Anyway, thanks so much for sticking with me and linking me to your Word
tutorial site.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note, however, that it is not necessary to insert section breaks to do this
unless you want a different First Page Header/Footer in each chapter. If you
just want the chapter title in the Header (or the Odd/Even Page Header), it
can be done with a StyleRef field; the chapter number in the page number
will similarly update without a section break.

news

wrote:

Thanks, Jay. Your link still didn't help. Using the directions

there,
for
each chapter, including the first, I get a "2" for the chapter

number.
Never
could get them to number themselves, including starting with "1"

..