Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LWestlake LWestlake is offline

Default Forms 2007

in MS Word 2003 there was a forms toolbar menu that had a lock key on it -
one could unlock the form for editing then lock it again leaving only the
fields to complete type-able.
Where is that option? I have a Word 2003 form that I want to edit and I
cannot because it is lock - I need to unlock it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nanlaurit Nanlaurit is offline

Hi - I have the same problem. I just upgraded to Word 2007 and have to work
on 97-2003 forms ... and I can't for the life of me figure out how to unlock
the form, and where all the form field buttons are like they were on 97-2003.
Could you please let me know what you found out ? Thank you!

"LWestlake" wrote:

in MS Word 2003 there was a forms toolbar menu that had a lock key on it -
one could unlock the form for editing then lock it again leaving only the
fields to complete type-able.
Where is that option? I have a Word 2003 form that I want to edit and I
cannot because it is lock - I need to unlock it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

These are on the Developer tab which is hidden by default. You can turn it
on by clicking the Microsoft Office Button (round button in the corner),
clicking Word Options, and in the Popular section, turn on "Show Developer
tab in the Ribbon". Note that this will turn it on for all applications.

Then on the Developer tab you'll find the Word Form Fields in the Controls
group under Legacy Tools and the Protect Document button near the end. Note
that you can add Legacy Tools to your QAT by right-clicking the button and
then clicking "Add to Quick Access Toolbar". It definitely saves time if you
are creating/maintaining forms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"LWestlake" wrote:

in MS Word 2003 there was a forms toolbar menu that had a lock key on
it -
one could unlock the form for editing then lock it again leaving only the
fields to complete type-able.
Where is that option? I have a Word 2003 form that I want to edit and I
cannot because it is lock - I need to unlock it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Click the Office button (the round object in the upper left corner) and
select Word Options from the bottom of the menu. In the Options dialog,
check the box for "Show Developer tab in ribbon" and click OK.

Now click the Developer tab. The Protect Document button on the ribbon opens
the task pane where you can protect/unprotect the form.

You can add the lock icon to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) for yourself.
Click the down arrow at the end of the QAT and choose More Commands. Set the
top left dropdown to "Commands Not in the Ribbon". Select the Protect
Document command and click the Add button, then click OK.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"LWestlake" wrote:

in MS Word 2003 there was a forms toolbar menu that had a lock key
on it - one could unlock the form for editing then lock it again
leaving only the fields to complete type-able.
Where is that option? I have a Word 2003 form that I want to edit
and I cannot because it is lock - I need to unlock it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nanlaurit Nanlaurit is offline

Thank you for this information. I have done as listed.

However, I still cannot unlock the Word 97-2003 doc that I am trying to work
on. I don't see an "unlock" button in the Legacy area, and I have gone into
the "Protect" tab, and "unrestricted access" is checked, yet I can't type
anywhere on the document except the form fields. How do I unlock an existing
locked document ?

"LWestlake" wrote:

in MS Word 2003 there was a forms toolbar menu that had a lock key on
it -
one could unlock the form for editing then lock it again leaving only the
fields to complete type-able.
Where is that option? I have a Word 2003 form that I want to edit and I
cannot because it is lock - I need to unlock it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The "Padlock" isn't in the tools but you can add it to your Quick Access
Toolbar as Jay suggested. To protect/unprotect a document, on the Developer
tab, click Protect Document and then click "Restrict Formatting and Editing"
if necessary. This will open the Restrict Formatting and Editing" task pane
you should see the commands for protecting/unprotecting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"LWestlake" wrote:

in MS Word 2003 there was a forms toolbar menu that had a lock key on
it -
one could unlock the form for editing then lock it again leaving only
the
fields to complete type-able.
Where is that option? I have a Word 2003 form that I want to edit and
cannot because it is lock - I need to unlock it.

Help Please?! Forms in 2007.. pghio Microsoft Word Help 7 September 9th 09 08:46 PM
Word 2007 forms... DFRENCH23 Microsoft Word Help 15 March 26th 09 03:14 PM
Where is the Forms Toolbar in Word 2007 Mike M Microsoft Word Help 6 December 12th 08 03:39 AM
forms in Word 2007 Wowbagger New Users 6 March 16th 07 06:38 AM
Word 2007 and Forms The Chomp Microsoft Word Help 4 May 28th 06 08:45 PM