Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
miamimom miamimom is offline

Default hijacked function key - how to rescue

My shift+F3 shortcut key stopped working (should toggle between upper and
lower case). I searched these boards and found out how to go to
Tools/Customize/Keybaord/Categories/Commands: Change Case. It said "Current
Key" was F3. But, when I tried to "Assign" again, when I click on the "press
new shortcut key" box and press Shift+F3, what prints in the box is
Ctlr+Shift+Y !!!! I found a reference to hijacked function keys, but no info
on how to un-hijack. Any suggestions?
--
miamimom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
miamimom miamimom is offline

Thanks for the prompt reply, but this still won't work. I have already even
tried "Reset all". If I physically use the "shift" and "f3" keys, in the "new
shortcut" box, it types the same "Ctrl+Shift+Y". It will not allow me to use
the keyboard keys to key in the individual letters spelling Shift+F3 -
nothing happens at all. Help! Yet, everytime I start this process again, it
shows "current key" as "Shift+F3" yet I'm in the same endless loop.
--
miamimom

"miamimom" wrote in message
My shift+F3 shortcut key stopped working (should toggle between upper and
lower case). I searched these boards and found out how to go to
Tools/Customize/Keybaord/Categories/Commands: Change Case. It said

"Current
Key" was F3. But, when I tried to "Assign" again, when I click on the

"press
new shortcut key" box and press Shift+F3, what prints in the box is
Ctlr+Shift+Y !!!! I found a reference to hijacked function keys, but no

info
on how to un-hijack. Any suggestions?
--
miamimom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, let's try a different tack. Select a different command entirely, one
that doesn't have a keyboard shortcut assigned. Press Ctrl+Shift+Y in the
dialog and look to see what is given for "Currently assigned to." Perhaps
that will give you a clue to another direction to take in sorting this out.
Alternatively, if you have a programmable keyboard, find out what key
combination is required to delete the programming, which may be reassigning
Shift+F3 to the Ctrl+Shift+Y.

Another thought: Make sure that neither of the WordPerfect options is
checked on the General tab of Tools | Options. These can cause all sorts of
unpredictable havoc.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In the Keyboard dialog for Change Case, select the "Current key" and

click
Remove. Then type Shift+F3 in the "Press new shortcut key" box and click
Assign.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"miamimom" wrote in message
My shift+F3 shortcut key stopped working (should toggle between upper

and
lower case). I searched these boards and found out how to go to
Tools/Customize/Keybaord/Categories/Commands: Change Case. It said

"Current
Key" was F3. But, when I tried to "Assign" again, when I click on the

"press
new shortcut key" box and press Shift+F3, what prints in the box is
Ctlr+Shift+Y !!!! I found a reference to hijacked function keys, but

no
info
on how to un-hijack. Any suggestions?
--
miamimom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
miamimom miamimom is offline

Thanks - I FINALLY figured it out, you were correct it was the keyboard.
Never knew it was programmable, because I've never tried to program anything!
Turns out it has "Function Lock" key that somehow got pressed, which switches
the function. Turned it off and "Shift+f3" is back in business.
--
miamimom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Okay, let's try a different tack. Select a different command entirely, one
that doesn't have a keyboard shortcut assigned. Press Ctrl+Shift+Y in the
dialog and look to see what is given for "Currently assigned to." Perhaps
that will give you a clue to another direction to take in sorting this out.
Alternatively, if you have a programmable keyboard, find out what key
combination is required to delete the programming, which may be reassigning
Shift+F3 to the Ctrl+Shift+Y.

Another thought: Make sure that neither of the WordPerfect options is
checked on the General tab of Tools | Options. These can cause all sorts of
unpredictable havoc.

news