Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bobby brown bobby brown is offline

Default Word save as Filename.doc.doc

When I create a document in word (lets say the name is 123) and do a save as
the actual name is (123.doc). This is as it should be. I then open the file
and do a save as and the name gets changed to (123.doc.doc). This is
occurring on 2 computers out of 200.Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bobby brown bobby brown is offline

Several things I left out.(sorry) Word is version 2002(10.6612.6626) on XP
operating system and Acrobat professional version 8 is installed. I have
removed MS office and reinstalled and it still does it. I have checked for
spyware and none was found.!

"bobby brown" wrote in message
When I create a document in word (lets say the name is 123) and do a save
as the actual name is (123.doc). This is as it should be. I then open the
file and do a save as and the name gets changed to (123.doc.doc). This is
occurring on 2 computers out of 200.Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

First, are you displaying File Extensions or hiding them? Second, does the
issue occur if you start Word in Safe Mode? Hold Ctrl while starting Word.
Continue holding Ctrl until prompted to start in Safe Mode.

I suspect things will be okay when using Safe Mode and you have a poorly
written macro intercepting the Save As command. What you describe sounds
like a common programming error in the Office applications.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"bobby brown" wrote in message
When I create a document in word (lets say the name is 123) and do a save
as the actual name is (123.doc). This is as it should be. I then open the
file and do a save as and the name gets changed to (123.doc.doc). This is
occurring on 2 computers out of 200.Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bobby brown bobby brown is offline

The mad macro turned out to be MSCOREE.DLL, seems like this was a file
required by and old version of ONbase and not removed with the new install.
This file was removed and the problem went away. Thank you all for your
help.