Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Kay_IT[_2_] Kay_IT[_2_] is offline

Default How do I save the default file format

I support 80 users running Office 2007. If anyone of them tries to change
the default file format to .doc, after restarting the computer it reverts
back to .docx

I have checked with the system admin that there are no group policies set up
that might case this but he says none set up at all.

If anyone could help resolve this I would be hugely grateful as I have some
frustrated anti 2007 users.

Kay
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Do users have Full Control over the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Options\DefaultFormat
registry key? If yes, then there could be a group policy or login
script that is resetting the key upon restart or login. If users only
have Read access to this key, then that could be why the setting isn't
being saved.

Kay_IT wrote:

I support 80 users running Office 2007. If anyone of them tries to change
the default file format to .doc, after restarting the computer it reverts
back to .docx

I have checked with the system admin that there are no group policies set up
that might case this but he says none set up at all.

If anyone could help resolve this I would be hugely grateful as I have some
frustrated anti 2007 users.

Kay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Kay_IT[_2_] Kay_IT[_2_] is offline

No, there are no group polocies set up and the users log in to their
computers as Administrators. The log in script has no effect on the registry
either.

Could this be an Office bug?

Kay_IT wrote:

I support 80 users running Office 2007. If anyone of them tries to change
the default file format to .doc, after restarting the computer it reverts
back to .docx

I have checked with the system admin that there are no group policies set up
that might case this but he says none set up at all.

If anyone could help resolve this I would be hugely grateful as I have some
frustrated anti 2007 users.

Kay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Please clarify that they are making the change in Word Options, Save tab and
not in the File, SaveAs dialog?

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

Kay_IT wrote:

I support 80 users running Office 2007. If anyone of them tries to
change
the default file format to .doc, after restarting the computer it
reverts
back to .docx

I have checked with the system admin that there are no group policies
set up
that might case this but he says none set up at all.

If anyone could help resolve this I would be hugely grateful as I have
some
frustrated anti 2007 users.

Kay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You did not answer my question. Frankly, I think this is an IT bug.
Try manually changing the value of the registry key I mentioned. If
that change is not retained upon startup/login, then something external
to Word is causing the problem. If that change is retained, then either
your users are using the wrong method to change the default file format
(as Terry alluded) or your users don't have sufficient permissions to

Kay_IT wrote:

I support 80 users running Office 2007. If anyone of them tries to change
the default file format to .doc, after restarting the computer it reverts
back to .docx

I have checked with the system admin that there are no group policies set up
that might case this but he says none set up at all.

If anyone could help resolve this I would be hugely grateful as I have some
frustrated anti 2007 users.

Kay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Kay_IT[_2_] Kay_IT[_2_] is offline

Terry yes thats correct, I went into word options, save tab to do this. There
was also options to change the default time for auto saving of documents
amongst others. I only have this problem with the default file format though.

Odly enough I have now come across 2 computers that have kept the change
even after restarting. Question is whats the difference.

Thanks
Kay

Kay_IT wrote:

I support 80 users running Office 2007. If anyone of them tries to
change
the default file format to .doc, after restarting the computer it
reverts
back to .docx

I have checked with the system admin that there are no group policies
set up
that might case this but he says none set up at all.

If anyone could help resolve this I would be hugely grateful as I have
some
frustrated anti 2007 users.

Kay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Very strange! Are there any add-ins on the affected PCs that are not
installed on the other PCs?

Terry

Kay_IT wrote:

I support 80 users running Office 2007. If anyone of them tries to
change
the default file format to .doc, after restarting the computer it
reverts
back to .docx

I have checked with the system admin that there are no group
policies
set up
that might case this but he says none set up at all.

If anyone could help resolve this I would be hugely grateful as I
have
some
frustrated anti 2007 users.

Kay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Kay_IT[_2_] Kay_IT[_2_] is offline

Terry great suggestion, we have some web conferencing software that has an
Outlook Add-in. It was that causing the problem, I uninstalled it tried
again and it kept the setting.

I will know go and try it on all the machines that have this problem which
is the majority of.

Many Thanks
Kay