Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Walter Cohen Walter Cohen is offline

Default Wod 2007 line spacing help

Hello.
We have Office 2007 and I am having trouble with line spacing in Word.
Although I have line spacing set at 1 it prints (both preview as well as
actual print) as though it is 2 or 2.5. I keep resetting the spacing to 1
but to no avail.
Maybe there's a [quick] style I have somewhere that is resetting it?

Please help me to understand this and how to go about changing it.

Thanks!
Walter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Any chance you have it set for 1 before and 1 after?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Hello.
We have Office 2007 and I am having trouble with line spacing in Word.
Although I have line spacing set at 1 it prints (both preview as well as
actual print) as though it is 2 or 2.5. I keep resetting the spacing to 1
but to no avail.
Maybe there's a [quick] style I have somewhere that is resetting it?

Please help me to understand this and how to go about changing it.

Thanks!
Walter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There are two elements to setting line spacing in Word: 1) line spacing,
and 2) spacing before and after a paragraph. In Word 2007, the default
line spacing in Word 2007 is 1.15, the default spacing before a
paragraph is 0 points, and the default spacing after a paragraph is 10
points. You need to change the Normal style line spacing to single and
the spacing after to 0 points, and then click on Default. See
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...165231033.aspx "DRAFT:
Adjust the spaces between lines or paragraphs" for more information.

Walter Cohen wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Walter Cohen Walter Cohen is offline

Ok thanks.
It is really strange. I can type 4 lines in Notepad, single spaced and then
copy/paste into a blank Word document and they magically explode
as follows: [I am using your response....]

Notepad:
There are two elements to setting line spacing in Word: 1) line spacing,
and 2) spacing before and after a paragraph. In Word 2007, the default
line spacing in Word 2007 is 1.15, the default spacing before a
paragraph is 0 points, and the default spacing after a paragraph is 10

Word:
There are two elements to setting line spacing in Word: 1) line spacing,

and 2) spacing before and after a paragraph. In Word 2007, the default

line spacing in Word 2007 is 1.15, the default spacing before a

paragraph is 0 points, and the default spacing after a paragraph is 10

Thanks,
Walter

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

Walter Cohen wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Walter Cohen Walter Cohen is offline

Granted but if I also open a new, empty Word document then each time I press
enter or the line wraps it gives me the double (or more) spacing.

Walter

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
When you type text in Notepad and paste it into Word, Word is applying the
Normal style, which is as g-n-o described.

so
all may benefit.

Walter Cohen wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Here's how to change the default settings: Click Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display
the Styles pane. Click the Manage Styles button. Click the Set Defaults tab
of the dialog box. Choose the desired settings for line spacing ("Single")
and spacing before/after (zero), choose "New documents based on this
template" and then click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Walter Cohen wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That's because every new Word document is using the default Normal style.
Stefan has provided instructions on how to modify that style.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Granted but if I also open a new, empty Word document then each time I

press
enter or the line wraps it gives me the double (or more) spacing.

Walter

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
When you type text in Notepad and paste it into Word, Word is applying

the
Normal style, which is as g-n-o described.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

Walter Cohen wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Walter Cohen Walter Cohen is offline

In order for me to get it to work correctly I also had to change paragraph
spacing which was ser at "after 10 pt".
Thanks.
Walter

Walter Cohen wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Word, Spacing Before means spacing above the paragraph, and Spacing After
means spacing below the paragraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP