Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bill Bill is offline

Default Error Opening File: Blocked by Registry Policy Setting

Hello,
I have a word document that was created on the Mac and moved to my PC. I
could open it with Word 2003, but with Word 2007 I get a message saving that
it is blocked due to a registry policy setting: statement is below.

This error occurs if you try to open a Microsoft Office document and the
file type for that document has been blocked by a registry policy setting.
To help secure your computer, Microsoft or the administrator of this
computer implemented a registry policy setting that prevents opening this
type of file.
To open documents with this file type, disable the registry policy setting.
For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922850.

I clicked on that link and got these instructions:

1. Exit Word 2007.

2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

3. Locate and then select the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\12.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock

Note This registry subkey may not exist. If the subkey is not present, you
must create it.

4. After you select the subkey that is specified in step 3, point to New on
the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.

5. Type FilesBeforeVersion, and then press ENTER.

6. Right-click FilesBeforeVersion, and then click Modify.

7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

8. On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.

I get to number 3 and there is no subkey. In fact, there is no
Office/12.0 - just office/9.0. I couldn't figure out how to add a folder
to add the subkey. Any suggestions on what I should do? I do still have
Word 2003 on the computer as well. I don't know this causes some sort of
interaction.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Mucking with the registry when you don't know enough to create a new key
is a dangerous thing. You should probably back up your registry before
you do anything to it. To create an ...\Office\12.0 key, click on
"Office", click on Edit | New | Key, replace "New Key #1" with "12.0"
(no quotes), choose the default REG_SZ type, and leave the data value
blank. To create an ...\Office\12.0\Word key, click on "12.0", click on
Edit | New | Key, replace "New Key #1" with "Word" (no quotes), choose
the default REG_SZ type, and leave the data value blank. Et cetera.