Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Angela Angela is offline

Default problems opening Word documents

When I start up Word and try to open a document from our server, the "look in
" bar always defaults to "My Documents" and then when I try to click on the
bar at the top it just stalls and says "initializing root folders to display"
and will not move from that and I have to exit out of Word by going through
the Control Alt Delete and End Now. I want it to open from My computer. How
can I change this and stop this "initializing Root Documents" from coming up
and stalling everything ou? This is happening to everyone in my office and
its is extremely frustrating.
I look forward to your help soon please.
Thank you
Angela
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

This is usually because there is a dead mapped drive or some other invalid
path set in the Menu. Open Windows Explorer and check to see if there are
any mapped drives that are invalid, dead or no longer exist and remove them.

You know you can change the default folder in Tools, Options, File
Locations?

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP