Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
joie joie is offline

Default is it better to buy 97 version of word than to upgrade?

i'm a new laptop owner and only need word for writing newsletter and
manuscripts, but i email same to my list--people who may or may not have
word2000,let alone '03 or '07. Is is best to find word '97 somewhere...can't
decide. It makes no sense to buy a program that no one else has, thus no one
else can read your document...advice?

joie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Why not just pick up a copy of Works Suite?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"joie" wrote in message
i'm a new laptop owner and only need word for writing newsletter and
manuscripts, but i email same to my list--people who may or may not have
word2000,let alone '03 or '07. Is is best to find word '97
somewhere...can't
decide. It makes no sense to buy a program that no one else has, thus no
one
else can read your document...advice?

joie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I'd not recommend W97 because of security vulnerability. JoAnn made a good
suggestion to get the vfm Works Suite: that is bundled with Word 2002. My
personal suggestion would be to buy the Office Students & Teachers 2003
version. It includes all the important elements of Office (unlike S&T 2007
which omits Outlook) and it is still being updated and 'secured' by MS. You
can also install it on up to 3 computers in your family home.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"joie" wrote in message
i'm a new laptop owner and only need word for writing newsletter and
manuscripts, but i email same to my list--people who may or may not have
word2000,let alone '03 or '07. Is is best to find word '97
somewhere...can't
decide. It makes no sense to buy a program that no one else has, thus no
one
else can read your document...advice?

joie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I figured that the cost of Works Suite would be less than the STE plus it
can be used for commercial purposes. Since the OT mentioned writing
manuscripts, I assumed that she is making money doing that.

--

"joie" wrote in message
i'm a new laptop owner and only need word for writing newsletter and
manuscripts, but i email same to my list--people who may or may not have
word2000,let alone '03 or '07. Is is best to find word '97
somewhere...can't
decide. It makes no sense to buy a program that no one else has, thus no
one
else can read your document...advice?

joie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

One other point that I didn't see specifically mentioned in any of the other
2001, X & 2004 on the Mac all use the same file format. Word 2007 can both
open as well as save in the 97-2003 format as well. All can save in prior
formats if necessary to do so.

IMHO, investing in out-of-date product - regardless of price - in order to
"maintain compatibility" with other users who are stuck in the past is
counterproductive and unnecessarily restrictive. Also, newsletters, in
particular, are better emailed as PDF attachments in most cases.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/8/07 5:35 PM, in article
, "joie"
wrote:

i'm a new laptop owner and only need word for writing newsletter and
manuscripts, but i email same to my list--people who may or may not have
word2000,let alone '03 or '07. Is is best to find word '97 somewhere...can't
decide. It makes no sense to buy a program that no one else has, thus no one
else can read your document...advice?

joie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Good point Bob, especially as you can download the free PDF add-in for 2007.
Though I still feel that it is a serious error omitting Outlook from any
version of Office suite.

Terry

.. .

wrote:

i'm a new laptop owner and only need word for writing newsletter and
manuscripts, but i email same to my list--people who may or may not have
word2000,let alone '03 or '07. Is is best to find word '97
somewhere...can't
decide. It makes no sense to buy a program that no one else has, thus no
one
else can read your document...advice?

joie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

One can hope that some people still have good moral and ethics. (I'll take
off my rose-colored glasses now.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]