Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
skippypete skippypete is offline

Default Templates vs Forms

Can someone give me a basic explanation of what a template is vs. what a form
is? I'm trying to detemine which one I need to use. I want to create a
document that is pre-formated to send to someone so that they enter
information (text and pictures) into certain areas on the page. This
document will be used on a recurring basis.
--
skippy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You can have a template for a form. Templates are basically skeletons. What
you want is a form.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"skippypete" wrote in message
Can someone give me a basic explanation of what a template is vs. what a
form
is? I'm trying to detemine which one I need to use. I want to create a
document that is pre-formated to send to someone so that they enter
information (text and pictures) into certain areas on the page. This
document will be used on a recurring basis.
--
skippy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

It sounds like what you need is a form saved as a template. :-)

A template is just like a cookie cutter that you use to create many cookies
that all start off looking the same. Now, by the time the cookies are
finished they may not look identical, some frosted, some not, etc, but they
are still similar and originally cut using the same mold.

When you want to create several similar documents, you first create your
template. You build your primary structure, add the pre-formatting, and save
it as a Template. When user that fills in the form uses your template, they
will create new documents based on your template as needed. That way each
document starts out the same but in the end are separate documents and can
contain different content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"skippypete" wrote in message
Can someone give me a basic explanation of what a template is vs. what a
form
is? I'm trying to detemine which one I need to use. I want to create a
document that is pre-formated to send to someone so that they enter
information (text and pictures) into certain areas on the page. This
document will be used on a recurring basis.
--
skippy

Word Forms/Templates Mules Microsoft Word Help 4 June 5th 08 01:05 PM
Forms and Templates Claire Microsoft Word Help 1 September 18th 06 10:51 PM
Templates/Forms Talk2U Mailmerge 2 November 21st 05 11:20 PM
Forms / templates in word Toni Redgrove Microsoft Word Help 3 May 6th 05 03:51 PM
user forms in templates Matt Microsoft Word Help 2 February 24th 05 12:20 AM