Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] romat@invalid.net is offline

Default Uninstall/Reinstall of Office (Word) 2000

Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between the box
and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return address or get
font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here no one has had any
idea what to do about it, and a repair from the CD didn't work, I figure
it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That means all of Office, not just
Word, right? I'd like to keep my settings, especially for Word and
Excel, on the hope they aren't the cause of the problem. Beyond
normal.dot, what files should I make copies of? Thanks.

Roger
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I doubt that re-installing Office will make a jot of difference from
repairing Office. Uninstalling will not remove your personalisations.

Before making this reckless step, may I suggest that you see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
then before restarting Word, rename normal.dot to oldnormal.dot and rename
the Word data key in the registry to OldData -
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Wo rd\Data

If you still have problems - see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

wrote:
Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between the
box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return address
or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here no one has
had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the CD didn't
work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That means all of
Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my settings,
especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't the cause of
the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I make copies of?
Thanks.

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] romat@invalid.net is offline

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

For Word, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm .

The linked pages have a printing problem in IE7 and Opera. All one gets
is the first page, because it's doing an image print - scroll bars,
borders and all - instead of a text print.

wrote:

Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between the
box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return address
or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here no one has
had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the CD didn't
work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That means all of
Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my settings,
especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't the cause of
the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I make copies of?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I doubt that re-installing Office will make a jot of difference from
repairing Office. Uninstalling will not remove your personalisations.

Before making this reckless step, may I suggest that you see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
then before restarting Word, rename normal.dot to oldnormal.dot and
rename the Word data key in the registry to OldData -
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\W ord\Data

If you still have problems - see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

I didn't say Word is crashing. I said the Envelopes & Labels is
taking Word in and out of focus, and its settings box won't take
changes or allow entry into the return address. All I can do is
highlight the address in the doc, go along with the focus changes,
print the recipient's address on the envelope, and manually add mine.
Before the last hard-drive related reinstallation with XP/SP2 E &L
operated normally for years. I'm open to suggestions.

RM

wrote:
Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between the
box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return address
or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here no one has
had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the CD didn't
work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That means all of
Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my settings,
especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't the cause of
the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I make copies of?
Thanks.

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] romat@invalid.net is offline

wrote:

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]"
wrote:

For Word, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm .

The linked pages have a printing problem in IE7 and Opera. All one gets
is the first page, because it's doing an image print - scroll bars,
borders and all - instead of a text print.

Correction: The linked pages print ok in Opera and IE7, but not from
Print Preview. I usually look at the latter first, which was the
problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Neither did Graham say that WOrd was crashing. He suggested following the
procedures listed because that may fix your problem. Reinstalling rarely
resolves any issues because many settings are not removed. But if you know
better, go ahead and waste time.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote:
Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between the
box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return address
or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here no one has
had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the CD didn't
work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That means all of
Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my settings,
especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't the cause of
the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I make copies of?
Thanks.

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Neither did Graham say that WOrd was crashing. He suggested following
the procedures listed because that may fix your problem. Reinstalling
rarely resolves any issues because many settings are not removed. But
if you know better, go ahead and waste time.

I didn't understand him to be saying that, given the link was about
crashes. My "I'm open to suggestions" implies that misunderstanding -
and hardly merits your last comment. I'll take a look. Thanks.

wrote in message
. ..

wrote:
Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between
the box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return
address or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here
no one has had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the
CD didn't work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That
means all of Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my
settings, especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't
the cause of the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I
make copies of? Thanks.

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I doubt that re-installing Office will make a jot of difference from
repairing Office. Uninstalling will not remove your personalisations.

Before making this reckless step, may I suggest that you see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
then before restarting Word, rename normal.dot to oldnormal.dot and
rename the Word data key in the registry to OldData -
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\W ord\Data

If you still have problems - see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Neither of these solved it. I regularly clean out temp files with and
running winword.exe /a did get rid of the problem, but it came back
with the new normal.dot file (after reboot). There's nothing in the
Word/Startup folder. Deleting the Data key didn't do it either. Any
other suggestions? Thanks.

RM

wrote:
Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between the
box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return address
or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here no one has
had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the CD didn't
work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That means all of
Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my settings,
especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't the cause of
the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I make copies of?
Thanks.

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Starting with the /a key correctly indicates that a third party add-in or
possibly the printer driver are culprits. Making sure that you have the
latest driver for the printer applicable for your OS, delete and reinstall
the printer. If the problem persists, look for add-ins (you can usually see
what add-ins are active in Tools, Templates and Add-ins tab).

Try http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm for some
further help with this.

Terry

wrote:
Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between the
box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return address
or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here no one has
had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the CD didn't
work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That means all of
Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my settings,
especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't the cause of
the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I make copies of?
Thanks.

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If it works correctly in its safe mode, there is nothing wrong with the
installation that a reinstall will fix.

Something external is interfering with the installation. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm
It might also be worth updating or re-installing the printer driver.

wrote:
Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between the
box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return address
or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here no one has
had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the CD didn't
work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That means all of
Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my settings,
especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't the cause of
the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I make copies of?
Thanks.

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If it works correctly in its safe mode, there is nothing wrong with
the installation that a reinstall will fix.

Something external is interfering with the installation. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm
It might also be worth updating or re-installing the printer driver.

As soon as I saw add-ins, Word Toys came to mind and the problem was
easy to find. It's is caused by the its navigation bar, which can be
disabled temporarily or permanently. Since I'm not terribly wedded to
all the bells and whistles of WordToys, I could do without it, except
that I really like having document tabs at the bottom. Do you know of
any other utility which does that for Word 2000? Many thanks.

RM

wrote:
Since the last reinstall of Office Pro 2000 two years ago for a new
hard drive, the envelopes settings box in Word has not worked
correctly. Every action changes the focus back and forth between
the box and the desktop, and it's impossible to enter the return
address or get font changes to hold. Since on previous tries here
no one has had any idea what to do about it, and a repair from the
CD didn't work, I figure it's time to uninstall/reinstall. That
means all of Office, not just Word, right? I'd like to keep my
settings, especially for Word and Excel, on the hope they aren't
the cause of the problem. Beyond normal.dot, what files should I
make copies of? Thanks.

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sometimes in Print Preview you get a choice of "Whole page as displayed" and
"Just the selected frame," and the latter would be what you need.

wrote in message
wrote:

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]"
wrote:

For Word, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm .

The linked pages have a printing problem in IE7 and Opera. All one gets
is the first page, because it's doing an image print - scroll bars,
borders and all - instead of a text print.

Correction: The linked pages print ok in Opera and IE7, but not from
Print Preview. I usually look at the latter first, which was the
problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Sometimes in Print Preview you get a choice of "Whole page as
displayed" and "Just the selected frame," and the latter would be what
you need.

Thanks, that works.

--

wrote in message