Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dan Kelly Dan Kelly is offline

Default Wrapping around images in Headers

I have an interesting problem with text wrapping in a document header.

In my header I have an image (our logo) in the top right of the page. On
the left I have 3 lines of text. Document Title, Path and Date. The image
has been inserted with the cursor at the end of the second line.

Text wrapping properties for the image are set as tight. Poistion and size
are set specifically.

However, tf the text - most commonly the file path - extends up to the
image, it disappears behind it, rather than wrapping.

Even more amusingly, if the image is dragged down to the main document area,
then the text wraps around the image. The image is still definately in the
header.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I can reproduce the problem, though I don't know why it happens. I can also
confim that it doesn't occur in the main text. This is in Word 2003; I
haven't had a chance to test in 2007.

To work around it, you can select the three lines of text and click the
Frame button on the Forms toolbar. Drag the right edge of the frame so it
abuts the logo. Then right-click the edge of the frame, choose Borders &
Shading, and select None. Right-click again, choose Format Frame, and set
its wrapping to None.

If the reason you chose Tight wrapping for the logo was to have the text
conform to the shape of the image, you'll lose that, since the frame can
only be a rectangle. The effect will be the same as if you chose Square
wrapping.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Dan Kelly wrote:
I have an interesting problem with text wrapping in a document header.

In my header I have an image (our logo) in the top right of the page.
On the left I have 3 lines of text. Document Title, Path and Date.
The image has been inserted with the cursor at the end of the second
line.

Text wrapping properties for the image are set as tight. Poistion
and size are set specifically.

However, tf the text - most commonly the file path - extends up to the
image, it disappears behind it, rather than wrapping.

Even more amusingly, if the image is dragged down to the main
document area, then the text wraps around the image. The image is
still definately in the header.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dan Kelly Dan Kelly is offline

Thanks for the confirmation.

Framing the text doesn't really solve the problem as this particular
template needs to be rotatable between Portrait and Landscape - which of
course varies the amount of white space availible for the lines to spread
into. Framing the text locks the amount of flow space I have

Any other options?

Dan Kelly wrote:
I have an interesting problem with text wrapping in a document header.

In my header I have an image (our logo) in the top right of the page.
On the left I have 3 lines of text. Document Title, Path and Date.
The image has been inserted with the cursor at the end of the second
line.

Text wrapping properties for the image are set as tight. Poistion
and size are set specifically.

However, tf the text - most commonly the file path - extends up to the
image, it disappears behind it, rather than wrapping.

Even more amusingly, if the image is dragged down to the main
document area, then the text wraps around the image. The image is
still definately in the header.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I guess there might be two other options. One is to prepare two templates,
one for portrait and the other for landscape, if you know in advance which
orientation a particular document should use. The other is a macro in the
template to change the orientation and also resize the frame.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

I can reproduce the problem, though I don't know why it happens. I
can also confim that it doesn't occur in the main text. This is in
Word 2003; I haven't had a chance to test in 2007.

To work around it, you can select the three lines of text and click
the Frame button on the Forms toolbar. Drag the right edge of the
frame so it abuts the logo. Then right-click the edge of the frame,
choose Borders & Shading, and select None. Right-click again, choose
Format Frame, and set its wrapping to None.

If the reason you chose Tight wrapping for the logo was to have the
text conform to the shape of the image, you'll lose that, since the
frame can only be a rectangle. The effect will be the same as if you
chose Square wrapping.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman