Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anthony Bollinger Anthony Bollinger is offline

Default Word 2003 Takes Several Minutes To Load

It was nearly unbearable before, but after installing the latest service
packs, now I get about 8 macro warnings and Word eats up the whole machine
for a few minutes. Just installed SP3 with a few other packs, so I guess
that is what is hitting it, but I just need to disable all of these startup
macros and bypass whatever else it is trying to do. How do you do that?

Thanks!
Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Dump the existing normal.dot and create a new one.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

(I know - the reason isn't the same but it still gets you to the same end
point - a clean document to start with.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Anthony Bollinger" wrote in message
It was nearly unbearable before, but after installing the latest service
packs, now I get about 8 macro warnings and Word eats up the whole machine
for a few minutes. Just installed SP3 with a few other packs, so I guess
that is what is hitting it, but I just need to disable all of these
startup macros and bypass whatever else it is trying to do. How do you do
that?

Thanks!
Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anthony Bollinger Anthony Bollinger is offline

I deleted and restarted Word and it recreated Normal.dot, but this did not
eliminate all of those macro messages. I want to absolutely delete and kill
and cancel all of those macros. I don't need them or want them. How do I
do that?

Thanks! Tony

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
Dump the existing normal.dot and create a new one.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

(I know - the reason isn't the same but it still gets you to the same end
point - a clean document to start with.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In that case you have some add-in(s) loading with Word. There are no macros
in normal.dot unless you put them there. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm

See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Anthony Bollinger wrote:
I deleted and restarted Word and it recreated Normal.dot, but this
did not eliminate all of those macro messages. I want to absolutely
delete and kill and cancel all of those macros. I don't need them or
want them. How do I do that?

Thanks! Tony

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
Dump the existing normal.dot and create a new one.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

(I know - the reason isn't the same but it still gets you to the
same end point - a clean document to start with.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anthony Bollinger Anthony Bollinger is offline

Thanks, I will check these out! --Tony