Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jimmy Clay[_2_] Jimmy Clay[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 PDF specifications

I'm supposed to save a my Word 2007 document as a PDF file at 300 DPI. I
have some doubt that Word's PDF function saves at that high level, mostly
because it seems to be such a small file. Is there anyway to find out
exactly what the DPI is that Word saves at?

If I'm right about that, does anyone have a favorite, affordable PDF
creator? I've been trying out novaPDF v5 and it seems pretty good and is
only about $30. But I would love to look at other programs if they cost
about the same. Thanks.

--
Jimmy Clay

http://songofthecoyote.googlepages.com/home

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alan[_2_] Alan[_2_] is offline

On Oct 16, 9:30 am, "Jimmy Clay" wrote:
I'm supposed to save a my Word 2007 document as a PDF file at 300 DPI. I
have some doubt that Word's PDF function saves at that high level, mostly
because it seems to be such a small file. Is there anyway to find out
exactly what the DPI is that Word saves at?

If you're using Truetype fonts, as you probably are, and no bitmap
illustrations, DPI is irrelevant -- it's just lines and text. Text
PDFs are pretty compact.

View the PDF in Acrobat reader, zoom in to the max. You should see no
graininess, should be smooth even at 6400%.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Alan wrote:
On Oct 16, 9:30 am, "Jimmy Clay" wrote:
I'm supposed to save a my Word 2007 document as a PDF file at 300
DPI. I have some doubt that Word's PDF function saves at that high
level, mostly because it seems to be such a small file. Is there
anyway to find out exactly what the DPI is that Word saves at?

If you're using Truetype fonts, as you probably are, and no bitmap
illustrations, DPI is irrelevant -- it's just lines and text. Text
PDFs are pretty compact.

View the PDF in Acrobat reader, zoom in to the max. You should see no
graininess, should be smooth even at 6400%.

Note that the PDF uses the TT fonts on the PC it is opened on - unless you
specifically set the option to store them in the PDF.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

AFAIK, Word will create a PDF and keep the same dpi as the original in the
file. So if you insert 300dpi jpegs, it will pdf in the same resolution. So
make sure they are 300 dpi before you install them. Otherwise screen
resolution is used (96dpi) automatically.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Jimmy Clay" wrote in message
t...
I'm supposed to save a my Word 2007 document as a PDF file at 300 DPI. I
have some doubt that Word's PDF function saves at that high level, mostly
because it seems to be such a small file. Is there anyway to find out
exactly what the DPI is that Word saves at?

If I'm right about that, does anyone have a favorite, affordable PDF
creator? I've been trying out novaPDF v5 and it seems pretty good and is
only about $30. But I would love to look at other programs if they cost
about the same. Thanks.

--
Jimmy Clay

http://songofthecoyote.googlepages.com/home

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi Terry -

Doesn't it depend on the PDF app that's being used? My understanding is that
Word sends what it's got - as you said - but the PDF app determines what it
does with it. Better PDF apps offer resolution (quality) options.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
AFAIK, Word will create a PDF and keep the same dpi as the original in the
file. So if you insert 300dpi jpegs, it will pdf in the same resolution.
So make sure they are 300 dpi before you install them. Otherwise screen
resolution is used (96dpi) automatically.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Jimmy Clay" wrote in message
t...
I'm supposed to save a my Word 2007 document as a PDF file at 300 DPI. I
have some doubt that Word's PDF function saves at that high level, mostly
because it seems to be such a small file. Is there anyway to find out
exactly what the DPI is that Word saves at?

If I'm right about that, does anyone have a favorite, affordable PDF
creator? I've been trying out novaPDF v5 and it seems pretty good and is
only about $30. But I would love to look at other programs if they cost
about the same. Thanks.

--
Jimmy Clay

http://songofthecoyote.googlepages.com/home

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Bob

That is correct but only if the graphics are of sufficient quality. If you
only insert 144 dpi, creating a PDF at 300 dpi won't achieve anything other
than file bloat.

Terry

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
Hi Terry -

Doesn't it depend on the PDF app that's being used? My understanding is
that Word sends what it's got - as you said - but the PDF app determines
what it does with it. Better PDF apps offer resolution (quality) options.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
AFAIK, Word will create a PDF and keep the same dpi as the original in
the file. So if you insert 300dpi jpegs, it will pdf in the same
resolution. So make sure they are 300 dpi before you install them.
Otherwise screen resolution is used (96dpi) automatically.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Jimmy Clay" wrote in message
t...
I'm supposed to save a my Word 2007 document as a PDF file at 300 DPI.
I have some doubt that Word's PDF function saves at that high level,
mostly because it seems to be such a small file. Is there anyway to
find out exactly what the DPI is that Word saves at?

If I'm right about that, does anyone have a favorite, affordable PDF
creator? I've been trying out novaPDF v5 and it seems pretty good and is
only about $30. But I would love to look at other programs if they cost
about the same. Thanks.

--
Jimmy Clay

http://songofthecoyote.googlepages.com/home

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jimmy Clay[_2_] Jimmy Clay[_2_] is offline

I think what might have happened is that Word was compressing the graphics
during saves. If you go to the Picture Tool bar, select Compress Pictures,
then the Options button, one of the options is to compress pictures during
saves. I had that option selected.

It's interesting that the Compress Picture dialogue box changes depending on
the document file I'm in. I have the document I've been working on, and I
get a dialogue that does not have an option button, but does have other
options. But if I put the same graphic in a blank document, I select
Compress Picture, and I get a dialogue box that does has the option button.

[...]

"Jimmy Clay" wrote in message
t...
I'm supposed to save a my Word 2007 document as a PDF file at 300 DPI.
I have some doubt that Word's PDF function saves at that high level,
mostly because it seems to be such a small file. Is there anyway to
find out exactly what the DPI is that Word saves at?

If I'm right about that, does anyone have a favorite, affordable PDF
creator? I've been trying out novaPDF v5 and it seems pretty good and
is only about $30. But I would love to look at other programs if they
cost about the same. Thanks.

--
Jimmy Clay

http://songofthecoyote.googlepages.com/home

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jimmy Clay[_2_] Jimmy Clay[_2_] is offline

I went ahead and bought the standard version of novaPDF. I created a pdf
file using it and one using Word's PDF save. NovaPDF created a file that is
47,695kb. Word 2007 created a file that is 3301kb. There's a big
difference in size, and as I said, each file was created using the same Word
document. So I'm thinking that maybe Word creates great files for internet
use, where as novaPDF creates better quality files for printing (which is
what I need).

The Word PDF file did look great on my computer, but I just didn't have
confidence that it would print well on a commercial printer.

"Jimmy Clay" wrote in message
t...
[...]

t...