Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John[_4_] John[_4_] is offline

Default Word launches slowly ~ extra components?

On Tue 16 Oct 2007 19:15:47, Tom [Pepper] Willett wrote:

I'm quite curious as to how the Subject makes any sense for
this post?

Tom

Sorry for mixup. I'd replied to some spam. May have re-replied to it
again instead starting a new posting. Apologies. I'll start all over
again!

-------

I run MS Word 2003 on WinXP Pro/SP2.

Word seems to take longer and longer to launch and I suspect that I have
got some add ins (if that is the term) that I didn't realize.

I can see menu entries for "Adobe PDF", Acrobat Comments", and PDF
Create".

How can I list all these additional things . How do I delete or
uninstall the ones I don't want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Adobe add-ins are renowned for their problems. To test, start Word in Safe
Mode. From Start, Run (Winkey + R) type in

winword /a

and press enter. Does that start normally? If so, follow the diagnostic
procedures in the article:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"John" wrote in message
On Tue 16 Oct 2007 19:15:47, Tom [Pepper] Willett wrote:

I'm quite curious as to how the Subject makes any sense for
this post?

Tom

Sorry for mixup. I'd replied to some spam. May have re-replied to it
again instead starting a new posting. Apologies. I'll start all over
again!

-------

I run MS Word 2003 on WinXP Pro/SP2.

Word seems to take longer and longer to launch and I suspect that I have
got some add ins (if that is the term) that I didn't realize.

I can see menu entries for "Adobe PDF", Acrobat Comments", and PDF
Create".

How can I list all these additional things . How do I delete or
uninstall the ones I don't want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John[_4_] John[_4_] is offline

Terry, thank you for the link. Launching is now faster but is still
noticeably slower than using "Winword -a".

I followed the instructions on the web page you gave:

(1) Both Word STARTUP folders are now empty (not even NORMAL.DOT)
(2) TEMPLATES folder is empty
(3) I cleaned out the registry key:
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\ Word\Data

But I still have the PDF menu items. They're at very top, to the
immediate right of Word's HELP menu item. The PDF items a

Adobe PDF ; Acrobat Comments ; PDF Create!

When I click one of these I simply get a dropdown menu. Presumably the
menu options I'm then offered are active. Are they linked to my copy of
Word or do they call up standalone programs?

Is there anywhere else in the Word installation I could look for more
unwanted entries? The page you gave did not refer to add-ins (if that
is the term for what I have).

John

-----

On Wed 17 Oct 2007 14:50:16, Terry Farrell wrote:

Adobe add-ins are renowned for their problems. To test, start Word
in Safe Mode. From Start, Run (Winkey + R) type in
winword /a
and press enter. Does that start normally? If so, follow the
diagnostic procedures in the article:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"John" wrote

I run MS Word 2003 on WinXP Pro/SP2.

Word seems to take longer and longer to launch and I suspect that
I have got some add ins (if that is the term) that I didn't
realize.

I can see menu entries for "Adobe PDF", Acrobat Comments", and PDF
Create".

How can I list all these additional things . How do I delete or
uninstall the ones I don't want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It sure sounds like Adobe is still loading: the menu items should be gone.
Try running Adobe Acrobat setup: I am sure that you can uninstall the Office
add-in features without uninstalling Acrobat.

If that doesn't work, try renaming normal.dot as normal.bad.

Terry