Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sarah sarah is offline

Default How do I unlock word to begin typing???

My word application had been working fine until I went to use it today. I
try to type in word and the following pops up: "This modification is not
allowed because the selection is locked." What have I hit to make this
happen?? How do I undo this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is so frustrating.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_] is offline

Is it a trial version whose time has run out?
Is it a new retail version that you didn't activate within the required
period of time?

"Sarah" wrote in message
| My word application had been working fine until I went to use it today. I
| try to type in word and the following pops up: "This modification is not
| allowed because the selection is locked." What have I hit to make this
| happen?? How do I undo this?
| Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is so frustrating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sarah sarah is offline

This isn't a trial version. I bought this computer with the new Window's
Vista a few months back. I hadn't registered word yet, but did today
thinking that may be the problem, but still no luck.

"Sarah" wrote in message
| My word application had been working fine until I went to use it today. I
| try to type in word and the following pops up: "This modification is not
| allowed because the selection is locked." What have I hit to make this
| happen?? How do I undo this?
| Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is so frustrating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Not all computers come with Word these days. Most have a trial version. Did
you specifically pay for word or are you making an assumption that it "came
with the computer".

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Sarah" wrote in message
| My word application had been working fine until I went to use it today.
| try to type in word and the following pops up: "This modification is
not
| allowed because the selection is locked." What have I hit to make this
| happen?? How do I undo this?
| Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is so frustrating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You need to activate Office, not just register it. If it's a trial version
that means purchase a perpetual license.

Note if you are planning on purchasing Office you might check into your
options first, such as retail, before you buy. For example if you purchase
the pre-installed trail version then the license is limited to the computer
Office was installed on. That means if your computer dies your software dies
with it. And if your warranty runs out on the computer your Office support,
such as a new Product key, replacement installation, etc is gone too. And if
you don't make the right choice if you choose to purchase the trial version
you may not get your installation CDs which you NEED. The best option is to
buy a retail version. If you qualify for the Home and Student version then
that's the cheapest way to go, although it doesn't come with Outlook if you
need it.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out: