Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Default Tables, merge, find and replace

I'd appreciate your help with the following job request:

I was given a list of 500 names and addresses which the requester asked to
be placed on mailing labels. He also wants them in alphabetical order.

The names were given to me with each line ending in a paragraph mark and
another paragraph mark separating the addresses (in other words, 2 paragraph
marks separate each name/address enty. I have put the information into a
table using Graham Mayor's "lifesaving" technique, but the job of putting the
names into alpha order is giving me a two-fold problem:

1. The list was sent to me with the addressees' company positions alonside
their names, separated by a comma. Is there a quick way of separating the
addressee's name and position which make up the first column?

2. Once I take the name column out of the table in order to alphabetize the
last names, how do I put the table back together so that the right name is
with the right row? Or is there a way to leave everything in the table and
still alphabetize by last name?

I'm sure this will turn out to be something simple for you, as well as
something I should know by now, but the answer just doesn't come to
me--especially getting the rearranged names back in place.

Maybe I'll wake up in the morning with the answer or, better still, see your
reply when I arise.

If I could reach through the computer and thank you wonderful people
personally, I would; but for now, a heartfelt thanks for all you do.

1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Thanks, Suzanne, for coming to my rescue once more as you have so many times
in the past.

What really embarrasses me is--and I'm going to blame this on lack of
sleep--was that I was thinking I had to sort the names before placing them
back into the table, when all I had to do was the "last name first" step and
then put them back in the table and sort.

I cannot tell you how good I feel now! Thanks, Suzanne! Thanks, Dave Rado!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Glad I could help again. And we all have many reasons to be grateful to
Dave, who sadly is no longer an MVP and has been incommunicado for years,
but his legacy is huge.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You might find some help at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...meLastName.htm