Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Thomboy Thomboy is offline

Default Resizing cells in an existing Word 2007 table?

Like many when I converted to Office 2007 along came Word 2007, but the easy
ways to divide one or two cells in the row of an already existing table
disappeared, or at least I cannot determine how to do it now.

When using the tables command in Word 2007, after creating a simple 3 column
by 10 row table, how do I divide in half a single cell in a row? For
example, if in row 1 I want to divide equally the last cell in this row? I
do not want any cells to shift or resize except for cell three in column one,
and I want the untouched cell 1 and 2 to remain the same as they were before
I divided cell 3.

I am trying to create a blank table so I can print information in each cell
to watch RE sales, but don't want the same number of cell columns in each row.

Thanks for the help; I wish the tables wizard hadn't gotten lost between
upgrades!!

Thanks for the help, Thomboy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Place the insertion point in the relevant cell. On the Table Tools: Layout
ribbon, click the Split Cells command (in the Merge group).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Thomboy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Thomboy Thomboy is offline

Stefan:

I bought and read the Word section of 2007 Microsoft Office System
INSIDE/OUT and nowhere did I find any mention of the tools tab in layout.
Once I followed your instructions, found the tools tab, there was the layout
tab, and viola! There was the old tools menu for splitting cells and much
more.

Is this information listed elsewhere in the INSIDE/OUT book, or did the
writers skip over it assuming most would see the tools command in the layout
ribbon?

Anyway, I do thank you for the quick reply, and for enabling me to finally
find what I hate to admit has been a 10 hour hunting expedition to find the
solution. Even in the back of the INSIDE/OUT text, tables are mentioned in
detail for access, and excel, but not for Word.

Thomboy

"Thomboy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Thomboy Thomboy is offline

I hate to say this, Stefan, but had my eyes only looked up slightly, I would
have seen the tools tab. It is tough to teach an old dog new tricks;
actually since nothing in the past appeared so high on the page, except the
file name, I didn't even look.

I guess what I am saying is that I hate to admit that I have been going down
the same path too long, and I needed a good kick in the rear to remind me
that one is never too old to learn, or think outside the box. NUTS!

Too soon old, and too late smart!!

Thomboy

"Thomboy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The thing is that the Table Tools Design/Layout tabs are context sensitive;
this is quite different from previous versions.

For what it's worth, I often think in terms of the old menus. When I'm about
to change a setting in Word, I want to use the Tools menu; when I'm about to
Save As, I find myself looking (in my mind, at least) for the File menu.
:-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Thomboy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Thomboy Thomboy is offline

Stefan:

You may find this humorous as well. I used to be a business prof at a
university in the Northwest, and was forever helping my students understand
topics that to me seemed so obvious. Here I am 65 years old, and am
experiencing some of the same type of problems they had, but for some reason
I too could NOT see what was so obvious--that "tools" tab was right in front
of me, like the nose on my face.

So, this old professor gets a chance to see learning from the student's side
of the equation and reinforces the old adage that there is no such thing as a
stupid question!

As they say, we never stop learning, but even more important, you brought
back a memory to me that brought a smile to my face. Good to have people who
can help us find answers, and also have the ability to share their own
weaknesses to make us feel more at ease.

Best, Thomboy

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The thing is that the Table Tools Design/Layout tabs are context sensitive;
this is quite different from previous versions.

For what it's worth, I often think in terms of the old menus. When I'm about
to change a setting in Word, I want to use the Tools menu; when I'm about to
Save As, I find myself looking (in my mind, at least) for the File menu.
:-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP