Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Melissa Melissa is offline

Default How do I create a formula in a table in a word doc?

I ahve this projrct that I am working on for work and it is easier done in
word. I just do not know how to do the formulas like they are in excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Actually, the easiest approach is to create the formulas in Excel and then
embed the Excel worksheet in Word.

If you want to do the calculations in Word, you will have to use fields,
which can be inserted via the Formula dialog box.

To display the dialog box, click Formula on the Table Tools: Layout ribbon
tab (Word 2007) or use Table | Formula (Word 2003).

For more, see this (from Word Help):

*************
Perform calculations in a table
Applies to: Microsoft Office Word 2003

Do any of the following:

Total the numbers in a row or column

1.. Click the cell (cell: A box formed by the intersection of a row and
column in a worksheet or a table, in which you enter information.) in which
you want the sum to appear.
2.. On the Table menu, click Formula.
3.. If the cell you selected is at the bottom of a column of numbers,
Microsoft Word proposes the formula =SUM(ABOVE). Click OK if this is
correct.
If the cell you selected is at the right end of a row of numbers, Word
proposes the formula =SUM(LEFT). Click OK if this is correct.

Notes

a.. If you see codes between braces— for example, {=SUM(LEFT)}— instead of
the actual sum, Word is displaying field codes (field code: Placeholder text
that shows where specified information from your data source will appear;
the elements in a field that generate a field's result. The field code
includes the field characters, field type, and instructions.). To display
field code results, press SHIFT+F9.
b.. If your column or row contains blank cells, Word will not total the
entire column or row. To total the entire row or column, type a zero in each
blank cell.
c.. To quickly total a row or column of numbers, click the cell where you
want the sum, and then click AutoSum on the Tables and Borders toolbar
(toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands.
To display a toolbar, click Customize on the Tools menu, and then click the
Toolbars tab.).
Perform other calculations in a table

1.. Click the cell (cell: A box formed by the intersection of a row and
column in a worksheet or a table, in which you enter information.) in which
you want the result to appear.
2.. On the Table menu, click Formula.
3.. If Microsoft Word proposes a formula that you do not want to use,
delete it from the Formula box.
Do not delete the equal sign. If you deleted the equal sign, reinsert it.

4.. In the Paste function box, click a function. For instance, to add
numbers, click SUM.
To reference the contents of a table cell, type the cell references in the
parentheses in the formula. For instance, to add the numbers in cells A1 and
B4, the formula would read =SUM(a1,b4)

5.. In the Number format box, enter a format for the numbers. For example,
to display the numbers as a decimal percentage, click 0.00%.
Note Word inserts the result of the calculation as a field in the cell you
selected. If you change the values in the referenced cells, you can update
the calculation by selecting the field and then pressing F9.

Note Microsoft Word table (table: One or more rows of cells commonly used
to display numbers and other items for quick reference and analysis. Items
in a table are organized into rows and columns.) calculations must be
manually recalculated. Consider using Microsoft Excel to perform complex
calculations.
*************

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Melissa" wrote in message
I ahve this projrct that I am working on for work and it is easier done in
word. I just do not know how to do the formulas like they are in excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Melissa,

Word's formula functions are much more limited than Excel's but, to see the kind of thing you can do, check
out my Word Field Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party