Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Default Thicker bold type

Hello everyone.

I am writing a document using Word 2000 and Word 2003. It is completely
written using the font Lucida Console, which is a monospaced font bundled
with the latest Windows versions (I guess).

Sometimes I need to use bold type, but the font does not include itself a
"Lucida Console Bold" definition, so I think Windows or Word creates the
bold type automatically. The problem is that this bold type is really
similar to the regular font. On screen, Word really make them look
different, but actually they are not, and this becomes a problem when I
print it or convert to PDF.

Is there any way to produce a thicker bold type for this font?

TIA!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, it isn't just a matter of not having the bold variant installed, as
there evidently isn't one. Is it vital that you use Lucida Console, or would
another monospaced font work as well? Lucida Sans Typewriter (not plain
Lucida Sans) is also monospaced and is very similar in appearance to Lucida
Console.

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
Hello everyone.

I am writing a document using Word 2000 and Word 2003. It is completely
written using the font Lucida Console, which is a monospaced font bundled
with the latest Windows versions (I guess).

Sometimes I need to use bold type, but the font does not include itself a
"Lucida Console Bold" definition, so I think Windows or Word creates the
bold type automatically. The problem is that this bold type is really
similar to the regular font. On screen, Word really make them look
different, but actually they are not, and this becomes a problem when I
print it or convert to PDF.

Is there any way to produce a thicker bold type for this font?

TIA!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

SSB Well, it isn't just a matter of not having the bold variant
SSB installed, as there evidently isn't one.

That's it. Lucida Console only has the "Regular" subfamily.

SSB Is it vital that you use Lucida Console, or would
SSB another monospaced font work as well?

It's no vital, but would save me a lot of work and time, as I am
using other fonts as well in the same document. Furthermore, if
I change the type, I'd have to check the whole document again
just to check if the layout was preserved (due to different size
of fonts).

SSB Lucida Sans Typewriter (not plain Lucida Sans) is also
SSB monospaced and is very similar in appearance to Lucida
SSB Console.

That would be a fine alternative if I were licensed to use that
font. However, it was not installed with Office 2000. This font
is sold for 100$, but I would like to pay such price for it if
I can produce a thicker bold in Word. Can I?

Also, I am planing to send the document to third party people
which may not have that font installed on their systems, and I
just can't send it as it would not be legal.

Will Word let me use stronger bold type?

TIA!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

mmc This font is sold for 100$, but I would like to pay such price for it
mmc if I can produce a thicker bold in Word. Can I?

I meant "I would NOT like to pay such price"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Lucida Sans Typewriter and its Bold, Oblique, and Bold Oblique variants were
supplied with Access 97 SR2, Office 2000 Premium, Office 97 Small Business
Edition SR2, Office 97 SR1a, Office Professional Edition 2003, PhotoDraw
2000, Picture It! 98, Publisher 2000, Publisher 97, Publisher 98, TrueType
Font Pack, Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise, Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise,
Windows 2000. If you have any of those applications, you should have it,
though you may not have installed it. If you have Office 2000 Premium, it
may be that this font was one of the "Additional Fonts" and that those were
not installed.