Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pia Pia is offline

Default cross reference changes surrounding text

Hi,
I have inserted cross references to figures in my Word 2003 document with no
problems, but when they are updated by Word (when saving or printing) they
change the paragraph they are in. This does not happen when I update them
manually by clicking update reference.
The paragraph containing the cross ref. changes to caption formating, and an
"invisible" enter is inserted in front of all cross references. The only way
to delete it is by deleting the cross reference.
I have tried fixing this by inserting all cross references again, but this
only helped temporarily.
I hope you can help me as I have a 200 p document and this is getting
annoying!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You have inadvertently inserted manual page breaks inside the bookmarks that
Word uses for cross-references; usually, this happens if you press
Ctrl+Enter at the beginning of a bookmarked paragraph (which causes the
bookmark to expand). To work around the issue, delete the manual page breaks
and add "Page break before" formatting (Format | Paragraph, Line and Page
Breaks tab) instead. Then update the cross-references again.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pia" wrote in message
Hi,
I have inserted cross references to figures in my Word 2003 document with
no
problems, but when they are updated by Word (when saving or printing) they
change the paragraph they are in. This does not happen when I update them
manually by clicking update reference.
The paragraph containing the cross ref. changes to caption formating, and
an
"invisible" enter is inserted in front of all cross references. The only
way
to delete it is by deleting the cross reference.
I have tried fixing this by inserting all cross references again, but this
only helped temporarily.
I hope you can help me as I have a 200 p document and this is getting
annoying!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pia Pia is offline

Thank you Stefan,
After reading your and Suzannes answers (in other posts) I went through all
the bookmarks using (insert bookmark, show hidden) and corrected them. This
solved the problem.
I never used Ctrl+Enter at the beginning of a bookmarked paragraph, but
this happend anyways, just because I wrote text above the bookmarked
paragraph. I will advise other users of cross references to be very
carefull...

"Pia" wrote in message
Hi,
I have inserted cross references to figures in my Word 2003 document with
no
problems, but when they are updated by Word (when saving or printing) they
change the paragraph they are in. This does not happen when I update them
manually by clicking update reference.
The paragraph containing the cross ref. changes to caption formating, and
an
"invisible" enter is inserted in front of all cross references. The only
way
to delete it is by deleting the cross reference.
I have tried fixing this by inserting all cross references again, but this
only helped temporarily.
I hope you can help me as I have a 200 p document and this is getting
annoying!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Pressing Enter and adding text causes similar problems, as you've seen. I'm
glad you got it sorted--and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pia" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Often I temporarily activate "show Bookmarks" on Tools, Options to ensure the
grey square brackets of the bookmarks have not inadvertently included
erroneous data.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Pia" wrote in message
Hi,
I have inserted cross references to figures in my Word 2003 document with
no
problems, but when they are updated by Word (when saving or printing) they
change the paragraph they are in. This does not happen when I update them
manually by clicking update reference.
The paragraph containing the cross ref. changes to caption formating, and
an
"invisible" enter is inserted in front of all cross references. The only
way
to delete it is by deleting the cross reference.
I have tried fixing this by inserting all cross references again, but this
only helped temporarily.
I hope you can help me as I have a 200 p document and this is getting
annoying!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, that's the crucial issue. And, therefore, I often prefer to manually
add bookmarks and then cross-reference the bookmarks directly.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I believe the brackets are not shown on bookmarks Word inserts, however,
and
those would include the ones created by cross-references, TOCs, etc.

so
all may benefit.