Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Default Stripping all formatting and codes when copying/pasting

I am copying and pasting documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and want them
to paste into Word completly stripped of all formatting, codes, etc.,
including headers, footers, tab settings, fonts, etc. What is the best way to
do this? Should I paste from Word 2003 into Notepad and then from Notepad
into Word 2007? It is essential that nothing come into Word 2007 other than
keystrokes in the body. Thanks in advance.

Arlene
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Copy the text. In Word 2007, click the Home tab of the ribbon. Click Paste,
and then click Paste Special. Choose "Unformatted Text" and then click OK.
The pasted text will assume the formatting at the insertion point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Arlene" wrote in message
news
I am copying and pasting documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and want
them
to paste into Word completly stripped of all formatting, codes, etc.,
including headers, footers, tab settings, fonts, etc. What is the best way
do this? Should I paste from Word 2003 into Notepad and then from Notepad
into Word 2007? It is essential that nothing come into Word 2007 other
than
keystrokes in the body. Thanks in advance.

Arlene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Paste special unformatted text (or use the following macro)

Sub PasteUnfText()
On Error GoTo Oops
Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText, Placement:= _
wdInLine
End
Oops:
Beep
End Sub

Arlene wrote:
I am copying and pasting documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and
want them to paste into Word completly stripped of all formatting,
codes, etc., including headers, footers, tab settings, fonts, etc.
What is the best way to do this? Should I paste from Word 2003 into
Notepad and then from Notepad into Word 2007? It is essential that
nothing come into Word 2007 other than keystrokes in the body. Thanks
in advance.

Arlene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Would this strip out any header and footer codes that might have been present
in the original document as well?
What is the difference between Unformatted Text and Unformatted Unicode Text?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Copy the text. In Word 2007, click the Home tab of the ribbon. Click Paste,
and then click Paste Special. Choose "Unformatted Text" and then click OK.
The pasted text will assume the formatting at the insertion point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Arlene" wrote in message
news
I am copying and pasting documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and want
them
to paste into Word completly stripped of all formatting, codes, etc.,
including headers, footers, tab settings, fonts, etc. What is the best way
do this? Should I paste from Word 2003 into Notepad and then from Notepad
into Word 2007? It is essential that nothing come into Word 2007 other
than
keystrokes in the body. Thanks in advance.

Arlene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Attached to a QAT button or keyboard shortcut it simply uses fewer
keystrokes to attain the same result.

Arlene wrote:
I am copying and pasting documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and
want them to paste into Word completly stripped of all formatting,
codes, etc., including headers, footers, tab settings, fonts, etc.
What is the best way to do this? Should I paste from Word 2003 into
Notepad and then from Notepad into Word 2007? It is essential that
nothing come into Word 2007 other than keystrokes in the body.
Thanks in advance.

Arlene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arlene Arlene is offline

Thank you. I went to your link and created the macro but the link doesn't
tell me how to run the macro or assign it to a keyboard shortcut. Do you have
another link for that?

Arlene wrote:
I am copying and pasting documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and
want them to paste into Word completly stripped of all formatting,
codes, etc., including headers, footers, tab settings, fonts, etc.
What is the best way to do this? Should I paste from Word 2003 into
Notepad and then from Notepad into Word 2007? It is essential that
nothing come into Word 2007 other than keystrokes in the body.
Thanks in advance.

Arlene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I feel sure Graham's article includes a link to his article at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm. For the rest, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...roToHotkey.htm (both
written for versions before Word 2007, but the principle is the same).

Arlene wrote:
I am copying and pasting documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and
want them to paste into Word completly stripped of all formatting,
codes, etc., including headers, footers, tab settings, fonts, etc.
What is the best way to do this? Should I paste from Word 2003 into
Notepad and then from Notepad into Word 2007? It is essential that
nothing come into Word 2007 other than keystrokes in the body.
Thanks in advance.

Arlene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The tools to assign items to the QAT or to the Keyboard are both located on
the QAT editor

Arlene wrote:
Thanks so much!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I feel sure Graham's article includes a link to his article at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm. For the rest, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm
and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...roToHotkey.htm
(both written for versions before Word 2007, but the principle is
the same).

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Arlene wrote:
I am copying and pasting documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007
and want them to paste into Word completly stripped of all
formatting, codes, etc., including headers, footers, tab
settings, fonts, etc. What is the best way to do this? Should I
paste from Word 2003 into Notepad and then from Notepad into
Word 2007? It is essential that nothing come into Word 2007
other than keystrokes in the body. Thanks in advance.

Arlene

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Arlene" wrote:

Would this strip out any header and footer codes that might have been present
in the original document as well?

Yes.

What is the difference between Unformatted Text and Unformatted Unicode Text?

I'm not sure. I guess pasting as Unicode preserves any Unicode text (which
includes "special" characters not supported by ASCII or ANSI) that might be
included in the copied data?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Copy the text. In Word 2007, click the Home tab of the ribbon. Click Paste,
and then click Paste Special. Choose "Unformatted Text" and then click OK.
The pasted text will assume the formatting at the insertion point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news