Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John Kotuby John Kotuby is offline

Default I hate Word 2007

Is there a way to have Word 2007 display menus that I am familiar with?

I was trying to help my Wife just click Edit/Select, then Edit/Copy and
finally Paste. That is a very simple thing to do in Word 2003. What a pain
in Word 2007! Even changing the font and enlarging print was an adventure in
searching for the right place to do it.

And what's with the stupid graph lines that appear with the opening of a
blank DOCX file. It's like somebody had a nightmare and then designed Word
from that bad dream.

I think I will download Open Office. I'll bet it is much more intuitive that
Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

John,

I feel (or rather felt) your pain. Personally I think that you should make
the effort to become familiar with the new interface, however if you don't
then try:

http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

As for the graph lines, Look at the View tab on the Ribbon and see if "Grid"
is check in the Show/Hide group.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

John Kotuby wrote:
Is there a way to have Word 2007 display menus that I am familiar
with?
I was trying to help my Wife just click Edit/Select, then Edit/Copy
and finally Paste. That is a very simple thing to do in Word 2003.
What a pain in Word 2007! Even changing the font and enlarging print
was an adventure in searching for the right place to do it.

And what's with the stupid graph lines that appear with the opening
of a blank DOCX file. It's like somebody had a nightmare and then
designed Word from that bad dream.

I think I will download Open Office. I'll bet it is much more
intuitive that Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"John Kotuby" wrote in message
Is there a way to have Word 2007 display menus that I am familiar with?

I was trying to help my Wife just click Edit/Select, then Edit/Copy and
finally Paste. That is a very simple thing to do in Word 2003. What a pain
in Word 2007!

No it's not - you just didn't use your eyes. On the HOME tab, (which Word
starts in be default), at the r/h end, click on Select. Right-click on your
selection, click "Copy". Move to where you want to paste to, then on the
same tab at the L/H side, click "paste".

QED - Quite Easily Done.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"John Kotuby" wrote in message
Is there a way to have Word 2007 display menus that I am familiar with?

I was trying to help my Wife just click Edit/Select, then Edit/Copy and
finally Paste. That is a very simple thing to do in Word 2003. What a pain
in Word 2007! Even changing the font and enlarging print was an adventure
in searching for the right place to do it.

And also you can add commands like "Copy" and "paste" to the Quick Access
Toolbar - which is even EASIER to access than Office 2003....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 15:56:09 -0000, "Gordon"
wrote:

"John Kotuby" wrote in message
Is there a way to have Word 2007 display menus that I am familiar with?

I was trying to help my Wife just click Edit/Select, then Edit/Copy and
finally Paste. That is a very simple thing to do in Word 2003. What a pain
in Word 2007! Even changing the font and enlarging print was an adventure
in searching for the right place to do it.

And also you can add commands like "Copy" and "paste" to the Quick Access
Toolbar - which is even EASIER to access than Office 2003....

Also, the keyboard shortcuts -- Ctrl+C for Copy and Ctrl+V for paste
-- work in all Windows programs.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It is equally easy in Word 2007. Ctrl+C to Copy, Ctrl+V to Paste (works in
all Windows applications and in many places where toolbars and menus aren't
available, so the shortcuts are worth learning). There are also many
keyboard shortcuts for selecting text if you prefer that to the mouse. I
believe the Copy and Paste buttons buttons are prominently displayed on the
Home tab and can be added to the QAT (I think they're on the floating
mini-toolbar as well).

"John Kotuby" wrote in message
Is there a way to have Word 2007 display menus that I am familiar with?

I was trying to help my Wife just click Edit/Select, then Edit/Copy and
finally Paste. That is a very simple thing to do in Word 2003. What a pain
in Word 2007! Even changing the font and enlarging print was an adventure

in
searching for the right place to do it.

And what's with the stupid graph lines that appear with the opening of a
blank DOCX file. It's like somebody had a nightmare and then designed Word
from that bad dream.

I think I will download Open Office. I'll bet it is much more intuitive

that
Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown Stan Brown is offline

Sun, 4 Nov 2007 15:54:24 -0000 from Gordon
:
"John Kotuby" wrote in message
Is there a way to have Word 2007 display menus that I am familiar with?

I was trying to help my Wife just click Edit/Select, then Edit/Copy and
finally Paste. That is a very simple thing to do in Word 2003. What a pain
in Word 2007!

No it's not - you just didn't use your eyes. On the HOME tab, (which Word
starts in be default), at the r/h end, click on Select. Right-click on your
selection, click "Copy". Move to where you want to paste to, then on the
same tab at the L/H side, click "paste".

Even easier: Ctrl-C for copy and Ctrl-V for paste.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John Kotuby[_2_] John Kotuby[_2_] is offline

OK Guys....

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ctrl+C to Copy, Ctrl+V to Paste I am aware
of. It was the Select All option that really threw me, but I have been
educated on that count. I guess it's time for me to upgrade my eyeglasses
for my 58 year-old eyes.

I think I will create a shortcut toolbar. The interface is just too busy for
me...but probably great for power users.

BTW... I have been writing software code for 18 years, including Mainframe
Cobol, DOS dClip, VB6 and now ASP.NET 2.0. I have learned a bit from all
that experience. One thing I learned was to create a simple, intuitive but
powerful user interface. I would say that Microsoft got 1 out of 3 right
this time. It's powerful.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It is equally easy in Word 2007. Ctrl+C to Copy, Ctrl+V to Paste (works in
all Windows applications and in many places where toolbars and menus
aren't
available, so the shortcuts are worth learning). There are also many
keyboard shortcuts for selecting text if you prefer that to the mouse. I
believe the Copy and Paste buttons buttons are prominently displayed on
the
Home tab and can be added to the QAT (I think they're on the floating
mini-toolbar as well).

so
all may benefit.

"John Kotuby" wrote in message
Is there a way to have Word 2007 display menus that I am familiar with?

I was trying to help my Wife just click Edit/Select, then Edit/Copy and
finally Paste. That is a very simple thing to do in Word 2003. What a
pain
in Word 2007! Even changing the font and enlarging print was an adventure

in
searching for the right place to do it.

And what's with the stupid graph lines that appear with the opening of a
blank DOCX file. It's like somebody had a nightmare and then designed
Word
from that bad dream.

I think I will download Open Office. I'll bet it is much more intuitive

that
Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"John Kotuby" wrote in message
..

I think I will create a shortcut toolbar.

You don't need to - there already IS one - it's called the Quick Access
Toolbar (QAT for short). Just add your most-frequently used commands to
it...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ctrl+A for Select All (or Ctrl+click in the selection margin).

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"John Kotuby" wrote in message
Is there a way to have Word 2007 display menus that I am familiar with?

I was trying to help my Wife just click Edit/Select, then Edit/Copy and
finally Paste. That is a very simple thing to do in Word 2003. What a
pain
in Word 2007! Even changing the font and enlarging print was an

adventure
in
searching for the right place to do it.

And what's with the stupid graph lines that appear with the opening of

blank DOCX file. It's like somebody had a nightmare and then designed
Word
from that bad dream.

I think I will download Open Office. I'll bet it is much more intuitive

that
Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Bradley Brian Bradley is offline

Now, see, that's why newsgroups are so cool.

CTRL + click in margin to select all? Great to know, because years ago I
deactivated the CTRL+A keyboard shortcut, but only because I type too fast
for my own good (I'm a transcriptionist), and I sometimes accidentally
Selected All instead of typing a capital A. Before I could catch my errant
keystroke, my fingers would have already typed the next character, and POOF,
everything was gone. (Of course, Undo came to the rescue, but . . . )

So the occasional times I needed to indeed Select All, it seemed such a
bother to press Edit | Select | All.

Thanks! (I wonder what took me so long.)