Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cathy Cathy is offline

Default Table of Content, Page number position

Can I specify the position of the page number within the TC field? I would
like the page number to appear first, then a right aligned tab (which i can
do through TOC style I assume) then the heading text.
--
Cathy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For right-to-left langauges, Word can do this automatically. For
left-to-right languages, you can use the following trick:

Insert a two-column, one-row table, without border lines.

Insert two tables of contents, one in each cell. In the left cell, map the
headings to lower-level TOC entries. For example, map Heading 1 to TOC level
7, Heading 2 to TOC level 8, and Heading 3 to TOC level 9. Change the left
indent for the corresponding TOC styles to, say, -10 cm and the right indent
to 10 cm; that way, the text will disappear into the left margin of the cell
(adjust the measurements if necessary). Set a tab stop at the right margin
of the cell for the page number.

In the right cell, just insert the TOC as usual; the page numbers will
disappear into the right margin.

Note that since the TOC styles are set to automatically update, you can set
tab stops and indents directly in the text (as direct formatting) for each
entry; it will then automatically be incorporated into the styles.

See also the "Using the TOC Options" section of the article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm. Even more information can be
found at http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TOCSwitches.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cathy" wrote in message
news
Can I specify the position of the page number within the TC field? I would
like the page number to appear first, then a right aligned tab (which i
can
do through TOC style I assume) then the heading text.
--
Cathy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cathy Cathy is offline

Sounds like an aweful lot of constructing just because the designer thinks it
looks pretty. Will try it with the table columns - Thanks very much for the
tip.
--
Cathy

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

"Cathy" wrote in message
news
Can I specify the position of the page number within the TC field? I would
like the page number to appear first, then a right aligned tab (which i
can
do through TOC style I assume) then the heading text.
--
Cathy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It may "look pretty," but it's highly unconventional, and that suggests to
me that it will be less functional. There are some basic designs that should
not be tinkered with. Think about the design of, say, bathroom fixtures.
Would it be a good idea to radically change them? I think not.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

"Cathy" wrote in message
news
Can I specify the position of the page number within the TC field? I

would
like the page number to appear first, then a right aligned tab (which

can
do through TOC style I assume) then the heading text.
--
Cathy

Updating table of content for page number only Rahul Microsoft Word Help 2 May 2nd 07 07:22 AM
page number in exact position Ram Page Layout 7 February 13th 06 02:36 PM
Page number position patti New Users 2 December 4th 05 03:27 PM
Why does my table of content page number change when I e-mail a co Bobcats Page Layout 1 August 24th 05 05:43 PM
How do I insert Page number from after Table of Content majid Microsoft Word Help 2 June 27th 05 01:56 PM