Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

Default Word 2007 Template

Word 2003
Word 2007

I use Word 2003 at work, and Word 2007 at home. When doing work related
stuff at home, I want to make sure that the file gets saved in the Word 2003
format for compatibility at the office. I generally don't use any features
specific to Word 2007 when I do work related stuff on my home PC, so I
really don't lose anything when I save in the Word 2003 format.

If I wanted to create a template for Word 2007 that would automatically save
documents in the Word 2003 format, would I need to use a macro, or is there
some other way do it?

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You don't need to create a template. You can make Word 2007
automatically save files in the older Word 97-2003 .doc format by
clicking on Office Button | Word Options | Save | Save files in this
format: Word 97-2003 format | OK.

Thomas M. wrote:
Word 2003
Word 2007

I use Word 2003 at work, and Word 2007 at home. When doing work related
stuff at home, I want to make sure that the file gets saved in the Word 2003
format for compatibility at the office. I generally don't use any features
specific to Word 2007 when I do work related stuff on my home PC, so I
really don't lose anything when I save in the Word 2003 format.

If I wanted to create a template for Word 2007 that would automatically save
documents in the Word 2003 format, would I need to use a macro, or is there
some other way do it?

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I want my personal documents to be saved in Word
2007 format, and my work documents to be saved in Word 2003 format. I know
that you can set that option, but then it applies to ALL documents. I
really want it to apply to just my work documents. The reason I want this
to happen automatically is because I've had some instances where I forgot to
do it manually, and then when I got to work I was unable to open the file.

So if I'm using Word 2007 as home for a personal document it should save in
the Word 2007 format. If I'm using Word 2007 at home for a work document it
should save in Word 2003 format so that it will be compatible with the
version of Word that I have at the office. The only way that I can think of
to do that is to create a template that I would use for all work documents
that would contain coding to intercept the Save command and always save the
file as in the Word 2003 format.

I guess the real crux of the question is that if I use a template, would I
need to code the macros to make it work the way that I want, or can the
option that you cited be set at the template level so that it would apply to
only that template (negating the need to code the solution)?

--Tom

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...