Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MargaretA MargaretA is offline

Default 2007 Normal Template Repair

I believe I may have somehow goofed up the Normal template in Word 2007. I'd
love to know how I can repair this problem.
--
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Close Word, rename the Normal.dotm template, and Word will create a new
one when you start it again.

MargaretA wrote:

I believe I may have somehow goofed up the Normal template in Word 2007. I'd
love to know how I can repair this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MargaretA MargaretA is offline

Thanks for your quick reply!
When I got to my template in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates, my Normal template has an "!" after the icon and
it's file type is "Micorsoft Office Word Macro-Enabled Template". This can't
be a good sign.

And to be particulary pesky, if I still should try renaming "Normal" (for
instance, "Normal 1"), will the newly created Normal template still have the
"Normal 1" template?

Believe me...I greatly appreciate your help. Just wish you were sitting the
chair beside me!
--

MargaretA wrote:

I believe I may have somehow goofed up the Normal template in Word 2007. I'd
love to know how I can repair this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, normal.dotm is a Word 2007 macro-enabled template, so that *is* a
good sign. You can rename it to normal.dotm.1 or normal.dotm.old or
normal.bad or anything else that is not normal.dotm. When you start
Word 2007 again, Word will create a new normal.dotm based on factory
default settings.

MargaretA wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply!
When I got to my template in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates, my Normal template has an "!" after the icon and
it's file type is "Micorsoft Office Word Macro-Enabled Template". This can't
be a good sign.

And to be particulary pesky, if I still should try renaming "Normal" (for
instance, "Normal 1"), will the newly created Normal template still have the
"Normal 1" template?

Believe me...I greatly appreciate your help. Just wish you were sitting the
chair beside me!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, both the renamed normal.dotm and the newly created normal.dotm will
be in your templates folder, although Word 2007 will not "see" the
renamed normal.dotm.