Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] romat@invalid.net is offline

Default Envelope Formatting

With Word 2007 the delivery address default setting seems to be 4" from
the left side of a standard #10 envelope. Can that be changed? Not
only does it look a bit odd, but I think the USPS automation standard
is aproximately 5". Word 2000 was definitely over that way.

RM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] romat@invalid.net is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The address is placed by the envelope address style - see
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

You're right, with 2007 it is tortuous. So much so that not once in
four tries did the changes apply to a new document after saving on exit
and reopening Word. One time, after moving the envelope frame to the
right 1", the next time it had moved to the left 1"! Not even font
changes are holding for, whether changed by this method or within the
Envelope box with Default/Save. They keep reverting back to Headers
font. I'm at a loss.

Roger

wrote:
With Word 2007 the delivery address default setting seems to be 4"
from the left side of a standard #10 envelope. Can that be changed?
Not only does it look a bit odd, but I think the USPS automation
standard is aproximately 5". Word 2000 was definitely over that way.

RM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

That's one of the reasons why I use templates for envelopes - you can
download some automated #10 samples from my web site.
Note that if you are using a document template, the envelope address style
in the document template will have precedence over the one in normal.dotm

wrote:
With Word 2007 the delivery address default setting seems to be 4"
from the left side of a standard #10 envelope. Can that be changed?
Not only does it look a bit odd, but I think the USPS automation
standard is aproximately 5". Word 2000 was definitely over that
way.

RM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

That's one of the reasons why I use templates for envelopes - you can
download some automated #10 samples from my web site.
Note that if you are using a document template, the envelope address
style in the document template will have precedence over the one in
normal.dotm

It didn't strike me until recently that the user can change the
envelope's delivery address placement by adjusting the horizontal
position in the Envelope Options box (2007). But it's too bad there's
no Default option in that window, only the Fonts one (even it doesn't
work)?

RM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

As Graham told you, Envelope Address is a STYLE and it is the style that
needs to be changed for any changes to become permanent. Ditto for the
Return Address too.

But as Graham says, the Envelope Wizard has always be a tortuous device and
many of us bypass it in favour of creating templates for the envelopes that
we use. He has several samples on his site that you can download and use or
edit to meet your own needs.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

That's one of the reasons why I use templates for envelopes - you can
download some automated #10 samples from my web site.
Note that if you are using a document template, the envelope address
style in the document template will have precedence over the one in
normal.dotm

It didn't strike me until recently that the user can change the
envelope's delivery address placement by adjusting the horizontal
position in the Envelope Options box (2007). But it's too bad there's
no Default option in that window, only the Fonts one (even it doesn't
work)?

RM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

As Graham told you, Envelope Address is a STYLE and it is the style
that needs to be changed for any changes to become permanent. Ditto
for the Return Address too.

But as Graham says, the Envelope Wizard has always be a tortuous
device and many of us bypass it in favour of creating templates for
the envelopes that we use. He has several samples on his site that you
can download and use or edit to meet your own needs.

Understood, Terry. Just curious if I'm the only one whose font changes
in Envelope Options (default, save normal.dot) and style changes (the
long tortuous method) don't hold session to session.

Roger