Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ct60 ct60 is offline

Default Problem with Fonts in Form Field

Hello -

I am a bit new to Word and am using 2002. I have a table in a word document
which has form fields. Some of the fields repeat so I have used Insert -
Field - Ref and then pointed to the form text field. I also selected
"Calculate on Exit". The end result is that when I update the textbox the
ref fields update automatically. That's cool.

Problem is that the fonts for the textbox and the ref are different (the
textbox has font size 15, but the ref has font size 10). If I put in two
words (like "Microsoft Corp") into the textbox, the first word of the ref has
the 10 size font and the second word has 15 font. Even when I select
'Preserve formatting during updates" I still have the same problem.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? I don't even have the slightest
idea why Microsoft designed this that way which makes this all the more
puzzling.

Any insights would help.

Thanks in advance.

Chris )

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In the Ref fields, include a \*CharFormat switch and format at least
the R of the 'Ref' keyword as 10 pt (and any other formatting you want
the field result to have).

For background, see the Help topic on "Format (\*) field switch".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ct60 ct60 is offline

Thanks Jay -

That works beautifully. The only remaining question for me is why does
Microsoft designed it this way? What possible reason could someone have for,
say, inputting "Microsoft Corp" and have the ref place the word "Microsoft"
in one font and the word "Corp" in a larger font? Maybe that is a bug in 2002.

But thank you, now this works the way I would expect it.

Best Regards,

Chris )