Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Victoria@DIG Victoria@DIG is offline

Default Can't Change Normal.dotm - Read Only

Just upgraded to Word 2007. I'm trying to personalize my Normal.dotm for
default font, Normal Style, Margins, and View (Page Layout). However, my
Normal.dotm will only open as Read-Only. I've tried opening it directly with
Word closed and tried opening it with Word open.

Is there a new way to save these defaults instead of writing over the Normal
template like in previous versions?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

By default normal.dotm is not read only. Investigate the permissions
associated with the file and checkout
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Victoria@DIG wrote:
Just upgraded to Word 2007. I'm trying to personalize my Normal.dotm
for default font, Normal Style, Margins, and View (Page Layout).
However, my Normal.dotm will only open as Read-Only. I've tried
opening it directly with Word closed and tried opening it with Word
open.

Is there a new way to save these defaults instead of writing over the
Normal template like in previous versions?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Victoria@DIG Victoria@DIG is offline

Thank you.

1) Checked permissions..No Restrictions
2) Looked for any temporary files...None
3) Prompt to Save Normal = Yes...However, I don't want Normal changed by
accident so I'd like to leave as is.

Could this be caused by my templates being stored on a network instead of my
hard drive?

Victoria@DIG wrote:
Just upgraded to Word 2007. I'm trying to personalize my Normal.dotm
for default font, Normal Style, Margins, and View (Page Layout).
However, my Normal.dotm will only open as Read-Only. I've tried
opening it directly with Word closed and tried opening it with Word
open.

Is there a new way to save these defaults instead of writing over the
Normal template like in previous versions?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Victoria@DIG Victoria@DIG is offline

Clarification of error. As I'm fiddling around with this thing, I noticed I
may not have described the problem correctly. When OPENING normal.dotm I
receive the error..

Normal.dotm is locked for editing by me. Do you want to open as.
**Read Only
**Save as new file and merge later
**Be notified when file is available

Victoria@DIG wrote:
Just upgraded to Word 2007. I'm trying to personalize my Normal.dotm
for default font, Normal Style, Margins, and View (Page Layout).
However, my Normal.dotm will only open as Read-Only. I've tried
opening it directly with Word closed and tried opening it with Word
open.

Is there a new way to save these defaults instead of writing over the
Normal template like in previous versions?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

That suggests to me that you do have a temporary file ~$Normal.dotm in the
Word Templates folder when Word is closed.
Note that these are normally hidden files. You must set Explorer to display
hidden files to view them. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm again.

Victoria@DIG wrote:
Just upgraded to Word 2007. I'm trying to personalize my
Normal.dotm for default font, Normal Style, Margins, and View
(Page Layout). However, my Normal.dotm will only open as
Read-Only. I've tried opening it directly with Word closed and
tried opening it with Word open.

Is there a new way to save these defaults instead of writing over
the Normal template like in previous versions?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Victoria@DIG Victoria@DIG is offline

No, I saw those files and deleted them completely including dumping my trash
folder. I did rename the old Normal file and just tried making default
changes from a blank document then closing Word. It did ask me if I wanted
to Save the Changes to Normal and the changes held.

In the past I always opened Normal made my changes and then resaved the
file. I'm guessing that isn't the best way with Word 07. Thanks for all the
suggestions.

Victoria@DIG wrote:
Just upgraded to Word 2007. I'm trying to personalize my
Normal.dotm for default font, Normal Style, Margins, and View
(Page Layout). However, my Normal.dotm will only open as
Read-Only. I've tried opening it directly with Word closed and
tried opening it with Word open.

Is there a new way to save these defaults instead of writing over
the Normal template like in previous versions?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You should still be able to open normal.dotm and make changes to it. What
you cannot do and should not attempt to do (as only Word can create a normal
template) is to save a document as normal.dotm.

Normal.dotm Rick Microsoft Word Help 1 August 30th 07 06:45 AM
Copy normal.dotm to another computer chammers Microsoft Word Help 2 August 15th 07 12:04 PM
Convert normal.dot in W2000 to normal.dotm in W2007 Why did I update Microsoft Word Help 3 August 8th 07 09:42 PM
Change Normal.dotm LTJ Microsoft Word Help 1 May 30th 07 03:52 PM
Word 2007: Where is Normal.dotm Oskar Busch New Users 1 July 25th 06 11:17 PM