Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MedicalTranscriptionstudent MedicalTranscriptionstudent is offline

Default How do I type roman numerals in Word 2007

I am trying to type proper formatted roman numerals. I would like to set them
up in autocorrect but I can not find them in either symbols or under any of
the fonts. Help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Roman numerals consist of ordinary letters (I, V, X, L, C, D, M). If you
want a specific appearance, use the appropriate font.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MedicalTranscriptionstudent" wrote in message
I am trying to type proper formatted roman numerals. I would like to set
them
up in autocorrect but I can not find them in either symbols or under any
of
the fonts. Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It's probably a touch of wheel re-invention but the following macro will
convert selected numbers up to 2999 to Roman numerals

Sub ConvertSelectedToRomanNumerals()
Dim iNum As String
Dim iUnits As String
Dim iTens As String
Dim iHundreds As String
Dim iThousands As String

iNum = Selection
On Error GoTo Oops:

iUnits = Right(iNum, 1)
Select Case iUnits
Case Is = 1
iUnits = "I"
Case Is = 2
iUnits = "II"
Case Is = 3
iUnits = "III"
Case Is = 4
iUnits = "IV"
Case Is = 5
iUnits = "V"
Case Is = 6
iUnits = "VI"
Case Is = 7
iUnits = "VII"
Case Is = 8
iUnits = "VIII"
Case Is = 9
iUnits = "IX"
Case Else
iUnits = ""
End Select

If iNum 9 Then
iTens = Mid(iNum, Len(iNum) - 1, 1)
Select Case iTens
Case Is = 1
iTens = "X"
Case Is = 2
iTens = "XX"
Case Is = 3
iTens = "XXX"
Case Is = 4
iTens = "XL"
Case Is = 5
iTens = "L"
Case Is = 6
iTens = "LX"
Case Is = 7
iTens = "LXX"
Case Is = 8
iTens = "LXXX"
Case Is = 9
iTens = "XC"
Case Else
iTens = ""
End Select
Else
iTens = ""
End If

If iNum 99 Then
iHundreds = Mid(iNum, Len(iNum) - 2, 1)

Select Case iHundreds
Case Is = 1
iHundreds = "C"
Case Is = 2
iHundreds = "CC"
Case Is = 3
iHundreds = "CCC"
Case Is = 4
iHundreds = "CD"
Case Is = 5
iHundreds = "D"
Case Is = 6
iHundreds = "DC"
Case Is = 7
iHundreds = "DCC"
Case Is = 8
iHundreds = "DCCC"
Case Is = 9
iHundreds = "MC"
Case Else
iHundreds = ""
End Select
Else
iHundreds = ""
End If

If iNum 999 Then
iThousands = Left(iNum, Len(iNum) - 3)
Select Case iThousands
Case Is = 1
iThousands = "M"
Case Is = 2
iThousands = "MM"
Case Else
MsgBox "Numbers greater than 2999 are not valid"
Exit Sub
End Select
Else
iThousands = ""
End If

With Selection
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Bold = True
.TypeText iThousands & iHundreds & iTens & iUnits
End With
Exit Sub

Oops:
MsgBox "Select the number and try again"

End Sub

MedicalTranscriptionstudent wrote:
I am trying to type proper formatted roman numerals. I would like to
set them up in autocorrect but I can not find them in either symbols
or under any of the fonts. Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are actually separate characters for roman numerals in the Arial
Unicode MS font (U2160-U2182), but (a) MS warns that Arial Unicode MS can be
problematic and should not be used unless absolutely necessary, and (b)
since these Arial numerals don't look like anybody's idea of "real" roman
numerals, and they can't be substituted for arabic numerals in auto-numbered
lists, it's hard to see what purpose they're meant to serve (though the
characters for 1,000, 5,000, and 10,000 are unique).

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Roman numerals consist of ordinary letters (I, V, X, L, C, D, M). If you
want a specific appearance, use the appropriate font.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MedicalTranscriptionstudent" wrote in message
I am trying to type proper formatted roman numerals. I would like to set
them
up in autocorrect but I can not find them in either symbols or under any
of
the fonts. Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Thank you for this information.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
There are actually separate characters for roman numerals in the Arial
Unicode MS font (U2160-U2182), but (a) MS warns that Arial Unicode MS can
be
problematic and should not be used unless absolutely necessary, and (b)
since these Arial numerals don't look like anybody's idea of "real" roman
numerals, and they can't be substituted for arabic numerals in
auto-numbered
lists, it's hard to see what purpose they're meant to serve (though the
characters for 1,000, 5,000, and 10,000 are unique).

so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Roman numerals consist of ordinary letters (I, V, X, L, C, D, M). If you
want a specific appearance, use the appropriate font.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MedicalTranscriptionstudent" wrote in message
I am trying to type proper formatted roman numerals. I would like to set
them
up in autocorrect but I can not find them in either symbols or under
any
of
the fonts. Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I thought it would be wheel re-invention

Sub ConvertSelectedToRomanNumerals2()
Dim sNum As String
Dim sFont As String
sNum = Selection
If sNum = "" Then Exit Sub
With Selection
sFont = .Font.Name
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, _
Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:= _
"= " & sNum & " \*ROMAN", _
PreserveFormatting:=False
.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.Fields.Unlink
.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.Font.Name = sFont
End With
End Sub

is somewhat simpler

Graham Mayor wrote:
[...]

How do I insert roman numerals into the text of a Word document? J.Duncan Microsoft Word Help 3 April 6th 23 03:14 PM
rOMAN nUMERALS HH Microsoft Word Help 2 November 13th 06 05:28 AM
roman numerals in Word - one million tone Microsoft Word Help 9 March 29th 06 04:45 PM
how to add roman numerals to my word document Jaki_87 Microsoft Word Help 1 April 14th 05 06:42 AM
How do I use roman numerals in a word document rocky312 Microsoft Word Help 2 January 1st 05 07:21 PM