Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
degas1900 degas1900 is offline

Default Double indented paragraphs

Is there an easy way to indent a paragraph on both the left and right
margins, e.g., lengthy quotes from sources? Our law firm has recently
migrated from WordPerfect (in which this task took one keystroke) to Word
2003, in which it's a very cumbersome process.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

It does not need to be cumbersome. You can create a paragraph style that has
the left and right indentation defined exactly as you wish. Use that style
for all your quotes. If you wish, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to the
style so that you can easily apply it whenever needed.

For help on styles, see:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"degas1900" wrote:

Is there an easy way to indent a paragraph on both the left and right
margins, e.g., lengthy quotes from sources? Our law firm has recently
migrated from WordPerfect (in which this task took one keystroke) to Word
2003, in which it's a very cumbersome process.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
degas1900 degas1900 is offline

How can it be modified? Changes to the original Block style don't stay when
I try to modify it and save it with a new name. This is a whole lot more
complicated than CTRL-ALT-F7 in WordPerfect.

"degas1900" wrote:

Is there an easy way to indent a paragraph on both the left and right
margins, e.g., lengthy quotes from sources? Our law firm has recently
migrated from WordPerfect (in which this task took one keystroke) to

Word
2003, in which it's a very cumbersome process.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

degas1900 wrote:
Our law firm has recently
migrated from WordPerfect (in which this task took one keystroke) to Word
2003, in which it's a very cumbersome process.

Side note:
These links might not have the answer to your specific question, but you
will probably find them very useful as you switch from WordPerfect to Word.

How Word differs from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ordPerfect.htm

Some Tips and "Gotchas" for those who are new to Word
Especially if migrating from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm

Is There Life After "Reveal Codes"?
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

WordPerfect to Word converters (and why none of them are perfect)
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...Converters.htm

DM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There is no need to change the name of the style; see

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The built-in Block style is already formatted this way. The 1" indent is
excessive, in my view, but it can be modified.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"degas1900" wrote:

Is there an easy way to indent a paragraph on both the left and

right
margins, e.g., lengthy quotes from sources? Our law firm has

recently
migrated from WordPerfect (in which this task took one keystroke) to

Word
2003, in which it's a very cumbersome process.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

I agree that 1" seems excessive and use 1 cm indents which seems better.

I usually italicise my quotes too, but I'm not sure that is a standard.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The built-in Block style is already formatted this way. The 1" indent is
excessive, in my view, but it can be modified.

so
all may benefit.

"degas1900" wrote:

Is there an easy way to indent a paragraph on both the left and right
margins, e.g., lengthy quotes from sources? Our law firm has recently
migrated from WordPerfect (in which this task took one keystroke) to

Word
2003, in which it's a very cumbersome process.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Any difference in formatting is probably acceptable (it's not unconventional
to use smaller type), but I think italicizing block quotes is problematic
because then internal italics have to be roman, which a lot of people don't
understand.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
I agree that 1" seems excessive and use 1 cm indents which seems better.

I usually italicise my quotes too, but I'm not sure that is a standard.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The built-in Block style is already formatted this way. The 1" indent is
excessive, in my view, but it can be modified.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.