Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
sabine213 sabine213 is offline

Default How do I save *my custom settings*?

Does anyone know a way to save *my custom settings*? I ALWAYS type papers
using APA format, Times New Roman, and 12 font. I am pleased that I don't
have to go in and readjust my margins every paper with the new Office 2007,
however I get absolutely FURIOUS with the program when it resets my font to
Calibri 11 WHEN I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF MY PAPER!!!! UGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
Then I have to go through my document and start to backspace every sentence
to the previous one, because EVEN THOUGH I set my preferences for double
spacing with no extra lines between paragraphs of the same style, once I go
in to change the font back to what I want, the next line down gets it's font
changed, and goofy spaces are added. So I waste my time "tricking" Word into
doing what I want it to do. It just goes in and takes over my document like a
virus!!! I feel like I'm working for Word instead of the other way around. If
I open a document and choose my settings, they should be applied for the
entirety of the document and not changed because the program decided it
thinks it know what I want.

Another thing, is there such a place to check "Old school formatting"?? I
learned to create papers on a manual typewriter. I KNOW how I want my paper
to look - margins, line spaces, tabs, etc..... Once again, I WASTE TIME
trying to get the program to do what I am telling it to do. I don't like when
programs "take over" and reformat my papers. I have deadlines to meet, not
time to play games. I had this same frustration with the last version of
Office. I spent many a late night SCREAMING because I wanted to put a tab in
my paper, and Office decided to reformat my whole 60-page document by
changing the font, recentering, etc...!!!! It's like a virus!!!!!!!

Can anyone help?????
ps - I find that there is no way to turn off auto-ormatting completely, so I
would like help with neutering Office so that it does what I want, not the
other way around.

pss - I LOVE the new PowerPoint!!!!! Perhaps those programmers could give
the Word programmers some hints??????
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Word 2007, you can do this to change the default settings: Create a new,
blank document. Then click Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles pane.
Click the Manage Styles button. Click the Set Defaults tab, and specify the
desired settings. Click the "New documents based on this template" option
and click OK.

Note that you can create a template with the desired settings, including
margins and other layout settings; then create documents based on that
template each time you want that specific formatting. See also
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart2.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sabine213" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew Andrew is offline

Stefan,

I am experiencing a similar problem. I too would like to change the default
font from Calibri size 11, to Times New Roman size 12. I know of about 10
different ways to accomplish this (one I learned from your post to sabine
213), but none of them seem to be working: your suggested fix, clicking the
"defaults" button under the fonts submenu, copying currnet settigns to
normal.dotm template (via word options -- advanced -- add-ins -- word (or
templates) -- organize), etc... I managed to have the changes apply to the
normal.dotm template, when I open it, it opens a "new" document (titled doc1)
with the sittings I desire as defaults. Very strange, I even copied and
pasted this "modified" normal template into the word startup folder. No
matter what I've tried, every new document I create via right click -- new
word document, comes up with calibri size 11 font. (I just noticed that if I
click open word directly, my settings are now default, but I never create new
documents this way, I always right click to create them). So, I guess I
fixed it?? That just doesn't make any sense, and doesn't do much for me and
how I operate. If you know of anything that will change the defaults for
documents created with a "right click" (apparently, now it's wrong click), I
would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Andrew Darnall

"sabine213" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Changes to normal.dotm are applied to blank documents, which can be created
explicitly (for example, via Office button | New) or by Word (for example on
startup).

On the other hand, when you create a document via Windows Explorer (for
example by right-clicking and choosing New from the context menu) other
(factory default?) settings are used, as you've noticed. Unfortunately, I do
not know where they come from. :-(

Note that placing a template in the startup folder does not make its styles
globally available; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...latesStore.htm.

--
Stefan Blom