Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mickey Mickey is offline

Default problem with outline numbering

Suzanne,
I followed your instruction on numbering. It makes perfect sense. The
problem I'm having is that in one occasion (so far) for Heading 3 where it
should be 3.1.4 it states 3.1.3. When I go in and look at the numbering for
the Headings everything looks fine. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure you have set up the numbering as described in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. The two
important points are that (1) all style changes need to be done through the
top-level style, and (2) all tabs and indents must be set in the Numbering
dialog, not Paragraph.

"rhewell" wrote in message
Hi there --

I have a very odd outline numbering problem. I have tried everything I

can
think of to fix it, and I'm at wit's end.

Here's the setup:
I created a template using a couple of different outlined numbering
"schemes." I created all of them using "styles and formatting" and have

made
sure that any changes have been made via "styles and formatting" as well.

I have a document that has several levels of "notes" --- Note, Reminder,
Caution, Warning, Timesaver, Tip. I set them up as on outlined numbered

list
with the "number style" as none and the "number format" being Note,

Reminder,
etc. (Sigh -- perhaps I shouldn't have done it that way, but at the time

it
seemed like the right thing to do....)

In the List_Num field, I used the name "notes_list"

This is how it looks level-wise:
Level 1: Number format = Note; aligned = .8; tabspace after and indent

after
= 1.2
Level 2: Number format = Reminder; aligned = .8; tabspace after and indent
after = 1.5
Level 3: Number format = Caution; aligned = .8; tabspace after and indent
after = 1.5
Level 4: Number format = Warning!; aligned = .8; tabspace after and indent
after = 1.5
Level 5: Number format = Timesaver; aligned = .8; tabspace after and

indent
after = 1.5
Level 6: Number format = Tip; aligned = .8; tabspace after and indent

after
= 1.2

I created a document based on the template and applied my styles

accordingly.

Here's the problem ....
When I open my document, my Level 2 "Reminder" is not indented

correctly --
and if I go the the "Styles and Formatting" and look only at the

"Reminder"
style, it now says that I have a left indent of .25 with a hanging ident

of
.25 and a tab at .5.

BUT..... if I go to my level 1 style of Note, choose to modify it, and go

"numbering" and "customize", the level 2 Reminder is still set to the left
alignment and tab space/indents as it was set up in the .dot (left indent

of
.8; tabsapce/ident after 1.2).

If I cycle through all the levels there, and the OK back out to my

document
--- the Reminder is now indented correctly.

BUT .... if I save and close the document and then re-open it, the problem
appears again!!

AAAARRRGHHHH!

Any help or words of wisdom??

Thanks so much.

--
rhewell

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are all the headings at that level showing 3.x.3? It could be that the third
field is picking up the Level 1 numbering instead of being new numbering for
Level 3.

If not, is there a 3.1.3 before 3.1.4?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure you have set up the numbering as described in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. The two
important points are that (1) all style changes need to be done through

the
top-level style, and (2) all tabs and indents must be set in the

Numbering
dialog, not Paragraph.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"rhewell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mickey Mickey is offline

All the previous headings are correct. Heading 1 = 3.; Heading 2 = 3.1;
Heading 3 = 3.1.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3; Heading 4 = 3.1.3.1, 3.1.3.2, 3.1.3.3; the
next should be Heading 3 = 3.1.4 but instead it keeps showing up as 3.1.3
again. There is no other 3.1.4 in the document. HELP, it's driving me crazy.
How can I tell if the third field is picking up the Level 1 numbering.
Thanks

"rhewell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mickey Mickey is offline

Suzanne,
I just noticed that when I put my cursor in the Heading 1 paragraph and go
to the customize outline numbered list the Previous level number for Level 2
is 1; but for Levels 3 - 9 the Previous level number is also 1. The option
for the other levels is there but when I select it, it defaults to 1 until I
move to the next level. But when I go back to the level before it, for
instance 3, it will show the previous level number as 2 but in the Number
format box the first number shows up as 11. The re-start numbering after is
correct for all the levels. What am I doing wrong? Again, thank you for
your help.

"rhewell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. From your description, everything
is set up as it should be. But are you perhaps tracking changes? If so,
numbering will not be correct until all changes are accepted. If that's not
the issue, shoot me the document, and I'll take a look.