Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Tim is offline

Default Removing selected hidden _ref type bookmarks

Say you have been editing and the cross reference GIU is showing all of your
tables, one after another as it should in sequence.
You continue to cut & paste or do some other editing some where else and
then for some strange reason, it hits the fan so to speak.
(you dont get a warning this is going to happen and you can not recover
using ctrl-Z)
What you say: You go to add another cross reference, and suddenly you have
qty 6 table #1 , qty 6 table # 2 etc listed in the cross-reference GUI
window. You know you only have qty 1 table #1, qty 1 TABLE #2... What the___
just happened?

The only way I have found to fix this is to re-insert captions onto each
table, redo the caption text (no copy & paste) and ctrl-X the old caption
entry.

This works when you only have a few, but Im now looking at over 200 tables€¦
and all the cross referencing in the document will be messed up if I have to
replace all the captions.
I have also tried by inserting temporary cross references say for all
entries of Table #1, shift-F9 to see the _ref number and then using all the
insert book mark, display hidden bookmarks and delete the "bogus" entries.
They don't go away, they just change # and point you to the top of first
page of your document.

Ive seen this in Xref for headers, figures, tables and the only fix is to
destroy & redo. There has to be a better way?

Any suggestions

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I don't quite understand. Are you saying that there are multiple occurrences
of each table in the Cross-reference dialog box?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Tim is offline

You are correct. Before the "suprize", the original Cross reference GUI had
one entry for each table, which is correct, since there is only one caption
per table, right!!. But once the suprize hits, well, you now have X # of
entries for each table were X can be 2,3,4,5, even 6 or higher. Now how can
it be that there are "all of a sudden say qty 6 entries of caption Table 1 in
the Cross reference GUI.

Further investignation (read as Pulling ones hair out in shear
desperation), resulted in the by complete fluke discovery that these are
"PHANTOM" entries. What I mean is that if you had track changes on, which I
did, and you moved things around, which I was, then the caption would have
changed #, say for example from Table # 3 to now its Table # 7 or what ever.
Now, in the Cross reference GUI, it shows say 3 caption entries for Table
#7. Go to the actual caption in the document, select it and "ACCEPT THE
CHANGES", and BINGO... the cross referenece GUI gets updated, and now you
only have QTY 1 entry for caption table # 7 in the cross reference GUI.
Arragh!!!

What bothers me is that if you alt-F9 to see all the _ref text (assuming
you have option set to display them) you have different _ref numbers all
pointing to the same caption. Worst yet, if you make new cross references
using these "phantom" entries, then you are just bloating the system with
multiple _ref numbers all pointing to the same place.

Note that this fix of "accept changes" seems to work for Tables & figures,
but if you are crossreferencing to a numbered heading, well, that seems to
required a Destroy & re-do it approach to make these"phantoms" leave.

Just another one of those _____ quirks of Word 2003. Have yet to see if it
occurse in word 2007

"Tim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I don't think there is anything you can do about this, unfortunately. Until
you've accepted all changes and turned off Track Changes, numbering (field
numbering as well as paragraph/outline numbering) won't be correct; this is
a known issue, and I guess there is some degree of logic to it. I didn't
know that it affected the Cross-reference dialog box, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP