Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ndp ndp is offline

Default convert a column to a row

How do I convert a column with 41 cells to a row with 41 cells?
The information I have is in word in paragraph form. However, I need to
have a spreadsheet with each of these paragraphs as a header of a column. I
have a column of paragraphs (cells) that needs to become a row with each cell
as a header of a column.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Word does not have a built-in function for this (a macro could be used) but
Excel has a transpose function that does exactly what you want.

Copy the cells in Word and paste into Excel.
In Excel, copy the cells you just pasted.
To paste the cells transposed, click in the upper-left cell of the paste
area (must be outside the cells you copied €“ could be on another sheet).
Click the arrow to the right of the Paste button and select Transpose.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"ndp" wrote:

How do I convert a column with 41 cells to a row with 41 cells?
The information I have is in word in paragraph form. However, I need to
have a spreadsheet with each of these paragraphs as a header of a column. I
have a column of paragraphs (cells) that needs to become a row with each cell
as a header of a column.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Although you can certainly round-trip this through Excel as Lene suggests,
in this particular instance you can also do the whole job in Word.

First use Table | Convert | Table to Text. The rows will automatically be
separated with paragraph marks, giving you one paragraph per row provided
there are no paragraph breaks in the rows to begin with. If there are,
you'll need to replace them with line breaks before the conversion.

Then select the 41 paragraphs thus created and use Table | Convert | Text to
Table, separating at paragraph marks (and make sure that the dialog shows
that there will be 41 columns). This will give you a row with 41 cells.

It takes longer to describe than to actually do.

news