Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Default Password protected Word 2003 files or folders

I have XP Professional and Word 2003. I would like to password protect some
of my Word files and folders. How do I do this. I right clicked on the
desktop and also in one of the folders I wanted to password protect, and then
I clicked New, but no item referring to compressed files/folders appeared in
the dropdown list.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

In the Word Help, see "Require a password to open or modify a file" to see
how to do the file passwords.
Obviously keep a secure record of your passwords.
Beware though, passworded Word files are easily bypassed.
If you need higher protection, consider using an encryption method, usually
a third party software. But then any receiver of your files will need the
same software.
Worms, Can, Open comes to mind.

Password protecting a folder, I have found the following hits:
Windows XP does not have the capability to password-protect
an individual folder. Instead, see the following:

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
files/folders.
Best Practices for Encrypting File System

The other option is to use WinZIP (http://www.winzip.com/) and create a
password protected
ZIP file.

Hope this helps.
DeanH

"jfg" wrote:

I have XP Professional and Word 2003. I would like to password protect some
of my Word files and folders. How do I do this. I right clicked on the
desktop and also in one of the folders I wanted to password protect, and then
I clicked New, but no item referring to compressed files/folders appeared in
the dropdown list.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word will only allow documents to be password protected - Tools Options
Security. Don't forget the password!!!
Windows XP has no function to password protect folders, though you can setup
user accounts that will limit access to your account.