Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George Callaghan George Callaghan is offline

Default Balloon tags when using the vertical scroll bar

I would like to know how to change the tag in the 'balloon' that appears when
using the vertical scroll bar. On the document I have created it will only
display the first page heading, even though there are different page headings
on subsequent pages.
Thanks
--
George Callaghan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Is this in Word 2003? (It's always good to mention version - especially
since 2007 presents so many differences.)

AFAIK there is no control for this within the program. What appears in the
box is content from the first line of the first page - Word "assumes" that
to be the *title* of the doc - along with the page number. Perhaps it can be
modified programmatically, but I seriously doubt it.

Have you considered taking advantage of the Document Map?

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"George Callaghan" wrote in
message ...
I would like to know how to change the tag in the 'balloon' that appears
when
using the vertical scroll bar. On the document I have created it will only
display the first page heading, even though there are different page
headings
on subsequent pages.
Thanks
--
George Callaghan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Interesting... I checked it in several docs here before posting with the
same results in each. Do you think it might depend on the style applied to
the headings?

I'm going to try again on a different system.

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Well, I guess I have to troubleshoot another installation %{

This system behaves as Suzanne describes. Dragging the scroll bar button
causes the first heading on the page to appear within the box - regardless
of heading style - along with the page number. Content formatted with Title
& Title2 styles, however, don't get displayed, so only the page numbers
display for the first several pages of this doc. However, in another doc the
Title styled heading *does* get picked up in the box. I've also noticed some
other squirrely behavior but it's normally associated with undesireable
conditions in the first place - such as a heading as the last para at the
bottom of a page.

So back to George's original query then...

Are the headings actually formatted with Heading Styles (associated with
Levels) or are they simply formatted directly? That will make a difference.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones