Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mj_stev mj_stev is offline

Default In Word, Old Default vs. New Default

Good afternoon,

Previously, my MS Word's default font was Times New Roman. When style was
Normal, the font was Times. I wrote a large document in this.

Corporate guidelines came out that said font should be Ariel. So I modified
my normal template to use Ariel. Now the normal style defaults to Ariel. If I
change the font to Bookman, the style says Normal+Bookman.

Default font in my previously-mentioned large document is still Times (when
style is normal, font is Times). When I make the font Ariel (style becomes
Normal+Ariel) all is well until I insert a caption under a table or graph.
The caption shows up in Times and everything after that is Times. Style shows
up as Normal.

Is there a way to strip Times as being the normal font in this document?

Thanks,
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:09:51 GMT, "mj_stev" u39646@uwe wrote:

Good afternoon,

Previously, my MS Word's default font was Times New Roman. When style was
Normal, the font was Times. I wrote a large document in this.

Corporate guidelines came out that said font should be Ariel. So I modified
my normal template to use Ariel. Now the normal style defaults to Ariel. If I
change the font to Bookman, the style says Normal+Bookman.

style is normal, font is Times). When I make the font Ariel (style becomes
Normal+Ariel) all is well until I insert a caption under a table or graph.
The caption shows up in Times and everything after that is Times. Style shows
up as Normal.

Is there a way to strip Times as being the normal font in this document?

Thanks,
Michael

It sounds like when you "modified the template", all you did was apply
direct font formatting to the empty paragraph mark, hence the
"Normal+Ariel" notation. What you need to do is modify the Normal
style: go to Format Style, right-click the Normal style, and click
Modify. Change the font in the Modify Style dialog, and check the box
for "Add to template". This page may help:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/stylesms/index.html

That change will affect only new documents based on that template.
Existing documents must have their styles modified individually,
because they're no longer dependent on the template for their style
definitions (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ns/index.html).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grimaldine grimaldine is offline

Hey,
if you want to change the language not only for one letter or template or
what ever, change the word options. There you can choose your favorite style
under:
Microsoft Office Button and there you find the button word options.

"mj_stev" wrote:

Good afternoon,

Previously, my MS Word's default font was Times New Roman. When style was
Normal, the font was Times. I wrote a large document in this.

Corporate guidelines came out that said font should be Ariel. So I modified
my normal template to use Ariel. Now the normal style defaults to Ariel. If I
change the font to Bookman, the style says Normal+Bookman.

style is normal, font is Times). When I make the font Ariel (style becomes
Normal+Ariel) all is well until I insert a caption under a table or graph.
The caption shows up in Times and everything after that is Times. Style shows
up as Normal.

Is there a way to strip Times as being the normal font in this document?

Thanks,
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Or for Word 2007, you can do this: Create a blank document. Press
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S. In the Styles pane, click the Manage Styles button. Click
the Set Defaults tab. Choose the desired options. Click "New documents based
on this template," and then click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

Word default? Word typist Microsoft Word Help 4 August 6th 07 04:42 AM
How to set 'Window(default) be default encoding? COY Microsoft Word Help 0 February 4th 06 06:01 PM
How do I change my default bullets to new default bullets? ckoop Microsoft Word Help 3 December 6th 05 12:47 PM
Word default Kappy Microsoft Word Help 1 February 1st 05 02:43 PM
Set default language for all docs? Remove default (no proofing tex Claire Microsoft Word Help 1 January 28th 05 12:35 AM