Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
idiotprogrammer idiotprogrammer is offline

Default auto-updating chapter numbers in long Word 2007 document?

Hi, there, I am creating a long document in MS Word 2007 with several
chapters and possibly several subchapters.

I know how to create a table of contents.

But I don't know how to create chapter titles at the beginning of each
chapter that will autoupdate.

This is the end of chapter three. (normal)

Chapter Four: How to Use Power Point (heading 1)

In this chapter you will learn.... (normal)

I suspect that you have to insert a field after the word chapter in
the heading . But
1)how do you give this field a number corresponding to the chapter
number?
2)How do you update this number if you need to?

By the way, is there a way to do the same thing by creating a numbered
list?

Thanks.

Robert Nagle
Houston, Texas
http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblogs/idiotprogrammer/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

To meet your specific requirements, you could create a list style:
Home tab, Paragraph group, Multilevel List button, Define New List Style
name it
Point to Format and click Numbering
Click More to display the full dialog box
Link level 1 to Heading 1 and level 2 to Heading 2
Change the number style, indentation, tabs etc. to meet your needs.
Change the number format to include Chapter automatically, etc.