Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

Default Generating an html File with Word Office 2003

I thought I'd see if I could generate an html file with a Word document. It
has jpg files and text. The jpg files are Tight and positioned as Other.
When I tried to save, I noticed a Type of *.htm, *.html, so used it. Word
objected because of formating with the jpg file positions. It said something
about moving them all to the left, or making the file .html. This last
choice seems impossible. All I can get is html. Anyway, I proceeded to make
it htm, and put it up on the server for my web page. When I try to access
it, I get a 404 not found. What's wrong here?

My regular html files seem to work OK. The start of the htm file is:

html

head
meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11 (filtered)"
titleChile Web Page/title

style
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

It appears saving the file as filtered (htm) does help, but not quite in my
instance. I have a mixture of pictures and text. I'm slowly adding html
(from a copy of the complete file) to the file and checking to see if the
problem disappears. When it does, I'll know what section of html contains
the problem. When all the code is present, I get nowhere, just a 404 error.
With about 15% of the generated code in, it works--even with a picture file
in it.

W. Watson wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson W. Watson is offline

Solved. I had named the file with "e_ W" instead of "e_W". That space before
the W played hell with everything. Hard to notice with a smaller font size.

I see that the htm suffix apparently allows MS html commands. Ugh!