Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Default hyphenation - possible glitch? ... just passing this on

I just posted here re a 'Viewer' for Word - using the mouse cursor and was
given great advice. This new issue may or may not be related to that
advice.

In Organize (Windows Explorer, Vista Home Premium) \ Layout \ Preview Pane
(which is now checked), I can see the 'preview' contents of various Word
documents which was my goal in that previous post.

Now when I single click on a Word (Word 97 - 2003 *.doc) to see the contents
in Preview Pane, I see the following prompt - "Word hyphenation feature is
not available. Run the Microsoft Office Setup program, install this feature
and then try again." Huh?

OK. I grab the disk, look for Hyphenation (not easy) and discover it 'is
installed on first use' ... or something like that. (I've been using Vista
and Office 2007 since Feb 2007 and this Hyphenation prompt never appeared
before. Could this be related to the Preview Pane being clicked?)

The only way I could eliminate that prompt (since according to the Office
2007 Set Up disk the hyphenation feature is installed on first use), was to
simply create a Word 97 - 2003 *.doc and click on Hyphenation to actually
use that feature. (That feature appears to have been already used on *.docx
documents.) Now when I single click on a Word 97- 2003 *.doc document to
view its contents in the Preview Pane, that prompt does not appear.

If this is a minor glitch, consider this a suggestion; if everything is
working according to plan, ignore. I was only slightly annoyed that I had
to find that Set Up disk, search for Hyphenation, and learn it was already
installed when first used. Just passing this on. Thanks, DH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If it is set to "Install on First Use," then it is not installed until it is
needed and you specifically tell Word to install it, which is why you got
the prompt and had to insert the installation disc.

There are three install settings: Run from My Computer (installed); Install
on First Use; and Not Installed. The middle one is the one you choose if
you're not sure whether you'll ever need the feature, but it's best avoided
unless HD space is at a premium, especially if you're likely to be without
the CD when you need to use it.

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Suzanne, thanks for your information!

I have to say I must think differently than MS. When I see the option
'Install on first use', I assumed the files needed for that feature were
already on my harddrive, perhaps compressed, waiting to be activated. FWIW,
when I installed Office 2007 I believe I just used their 'recommended'
settings.

I've learned something. Thanks, DH

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think there may be an option to copy all the files to your computer
without actually "installing" them, but, since this would require almost as
much HD space as actually installing all the features (I guess they are in
compressed .cab files), I'm not sure I see the point.

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Yes. You can use the CDCache=2 to cache the whole DVD to a local drive and
you can specify the location with the LocalCacheDrive= string.

Terry

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I can't remember whether I did this when I installed or not, but, having
worked with Office 2003 for several years, I was pretty confident of what
features I wanted to install (*and* I can always easily lay my hands on the
install CD).

news