Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ramesh Ramesh is offline

Default Locking pics to the text

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between the text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to the text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along with the text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the Format Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Which Word version are you using?
For 2003 and prior the following can help, this may differ for 2007.
Change the setting for the image to "In Line with Text", this can be found
by select image, mouse right click, Format Picture, Layout.
To ensure that all future images have this setting as default, Tools,
Options, Edit, Insert/Paste Pictures as: choose "In Line with Text" option
(this is 2003 only).
The Move with text can be ignored by some of the other layout options, ie
behind/in front/through, etc.
Beware using these options, the Square and Tight options can be used for
images that you want "within" the text and the Move with Text options does
work.
Hope this helps.
DeanH

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between the text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to the text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along with the text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the Format Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ramesh Ramesh is offline

Thanks Dean for your response.

I did try the In line with text option. Then the pic disappears, i only get
a frame outlne and that too moved to another location.

Why does that happen?

Hope you could help with this too.

Thanks
Ramesh
\

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between the text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to the text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along with the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the Format Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

I would suggest that the image has gone to the point at where its anchor is,
which is where the cursor was when orginally imported/pasted. I forgot to
mention that this could happen before sending the previous response.
Unfortuantely this will happen to all your images. It is still best to
change the setting to In Line with Text, then move the "new" image to its
appropriate place.
If you have many images, the Select Browse Object button (bottom right of
Word window) can be set to search for graphics, then click the arrows above
and below this button for jump through your document quickly.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between the text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to the text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along with the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the Format Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ramesh Ramesh is offline

Thanks again Dean.

Am able to move the frame to the required location. But the frame still
remains empty. How do I get the image back? It goes blank only when i
change to In line with text.

Ramesh

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between the
text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to the
text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along with the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the Format
Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Are you saying that you have the images within Frame? Sorry I did not pick
this up from your previous texts.
I tend not to use Frames to hold images, it can cause problems with
positioning, as the Image is trying to position it self within the Frame and
the Frame is trying to position itself in the document. I would cut the
images out of the Frames and place them directly in the text where you want
them to be. I only use Frames when I want something outside the working
Margins. Pictures in Word can work wonders on there own. Honest.
Best of Luck
DeanH

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between the
text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to the
text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along with the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the Format
Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ramesh Ramesh is offline

Dean, sorry for the miscommunication.

I have not used any frames for the pics. I simply copied them from another
word file and pasted them in here. But when i change the setting to Inline
with Text, the image disappears and I am only left with a rectangle with
blank inside. I only referred to the rectangle as a frame. How do i get
image to show in the rectangle?

Thanks
Ramesh

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between the
text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to the
text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along with
the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the Format
Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete
today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Ok, so not Frames then, phew ;-)
Still sounds like the images you have pasted from the other document has the
images in a Drawing "box", if you double click the image, do you get an
editing-type box? Eg, these are a Visio or PowerPoint (or some-such) object.
If so, can you then select the image, or is it slit into its components?
If it splits, do UNDO. I would then copy your image again, paste into
PowerPoint, resize to the PowerPoint page, Save As, jpg or png format. Then
into the Word file, Insert Picture, From File (there is an icon on the
Picture tollbar for this), ensure you have the cursor where you want the
image to reside, resize to fit your margins, and now In Line with Text will
work.
It seems that the original images in the source document have been embedded
in a Drawing box which you have brought over. This is slightly unusual
because InLineWithText works with these boxes as you would expect.
Hope this helps.
DeanH

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between the
text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to the
text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along with
the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the Format
Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete
today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word up to 2003
Tools options view - uncheck 'Picture placeholders'
Word 2007
Word options Advanced Show document content Uncheck 'Show picture
placeholders'

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between
the text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to
the text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along
with the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the
Format Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete
today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ramesh Ramesh is offline

Dean, double clicking the image does not open anything. Only right clicking
shows the usual menu for an image. (edit picture).

I hope i dont have to do all that you have said. I have many images to be
done with!

This is something i have been doing before .. copying images from one
document to another. However in this case, the source document was
converted from a pdf file using a converter utility.. (pdf-file). Does that
indicate anything?

Thanks for all your help.
Ramesh

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between
the
text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to
the
text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along
with
the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the
Format
Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete
today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Well I am getting stumped...
I have used images extracted from PDF (I use SolidConverter) and have not
had any problems you are experiencing. I still think the image is there when
you do the change to InLineWithText, but has just moved to an unview portion
of the Drawing Canvas.
IF you do Edit Picture on one of the changed what do you see? Can you expand
the canvas to see the image?
I was hoping that the Placeholder suggestion from Graham would have done the
job, but hey-ho.
DeanH

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between
the
text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to
the
text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along
with
the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the
Format
Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete
today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Is the text's Line Spacing set to "Exactly:" or some other specification?
That can cause an In Line image to partially/not display since the line
spacing isn't sufficient.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Ramesh" wrote:

Hi,

Am writing a manual which needs pictures to be inserted between
the text
lines. The problem i am having is that while i make changes to
the text,
the pictures remain in the same place, rather than move along
with the
text
around it. I tried using the option Move with text in the
Format Picture
screen. Makes no difference. what am i missing out on?

Thanks for any help. This is an urgent work I need to complete
today.

Ramesh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ramesh Ramesh is offline

That s it CyberTaz.. Got it! It was the line space setting. Thanks very
much.

I did miss my deadline yesterday.. but atlest better late than never!

Thanks to Graham and Dean too.

Ramesh