Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
don don is offline

Default Vista has changed my files from Word .doc to .txt, and. . .

When I moved from XP to Vista on a new computer and transferred my files and
settings over to it, all my Word '97 files were changed from Word to ".txt"
files. I now understand that my Word '97 won't work on Vista and that's why
this happened. Now I've bought a registered copy of Word 2000 on ebay, which
will work fine on Vista (or so I'm told). I'm waiting for it to get here.
In the meantime, I'd like to get an answer to one important question. When
I install Word 2000 on my new computer, is there a way to automatically
change ALL of my ".txt" docs back to Word in one fell swoop (i.e. all at one
time), rather than doing it one doc at a time?
--
Thanks, Don
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Regardless of the extension appended to a document, Word will always
recognise it as a document. I don't see how transferring them could possibly
have changed the file itself, only the extension has been changed. Once Word
2000 has been installed, double-clicking the document should open Word.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
don don is offline

Thanks Terry.

At the moment I only have the Microsoft Works Word Processor installed and
when I open any of my "moved from XP" Word '97" documents directly, from
explorer, they open as .txt with all sorts of giggly-gooks on the page with
the basic text document. From what you've told me, I assume this will change
once I install Word 2000.

Thanks again for the help.
--

"Don" wrote:

When I moved from XP to Vista on a new computer and transferred my files and
settings over to it, all my Word '97 files were changed from Word to ".txt"
files. I now understand that my Word '97 won't work on Vista and that's why
this happened. Now I've bought a registered copy of Word 2000 on ebay, which
will work fine on Vista (or so I'm told). I'm waiting for it to get here.
In the meantime, I'd like to get an answer to one important question. When
I install Word 2000 on my new computer, is there a way to automatically
change ALL of my ".txt" docs back to Word in one fell swoop (i.e. all at one
time), rather than doing it one doc at a time?
--
Thanks, Don

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Yes, once you have a version of Word installed then your documents will open
correctly in Word. The problem you are encountering right now is Works
doesn't recognize Word documents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Don" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chris Game Chris Game is offline

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:38:01 -0800, Don wrote:

I now understand that my Word '97 won't work on Vista

Rubbish. Word 97 works fine on Vista.

--
Chris Game

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:36:02 -0800, Don wrote:

At the moment I only have the Microsoft Works Word Processor installed

Ah! Now he tells us...

--
Chris Game

By God, for a moment there it all made sense...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 06:31:01 -0800, Don wrote:

Ah, I wish I were as smart as you, Chris.

The way my brain is decaying, it won't be long...

--
Chris Game

-- Albert Einstein