TricksOfMind

Default TOC and other problems in a very long doc

I have a doc of 700+ pages (a book indeed).
A long time ago hardly recovered from a master doc nightmare.

My conf is Word 2003, Windows XP, 660 Mb RAM

Although stable, I face the following issues :
-pagination takes more than ONE hour and happens frequently (eventhough I
check of auto paging), for instance if I need to preview (by the way I now
most often create a PDF : it takes the same time but I can reuse it)
- TOC are not fully updated anymore (only the page number is updated, even
if i check "full update"). I use a macro to do that. I have tens of TOC (for
instance one master at level 1 only, on between level 2 and 4 at each start
of a chapter, one full at the end). My TOC are delimited by "signet" (sorry
I am French) (signet is a named part of the document)
- some picture diseappear from time to time and I have to reinclude them
- the entry in my index keep the style of the text where I marked them and
do not take the style Index1,2, etc.

Otherwise I am almost finished...

Heard of any "cheap" on line service to get it printed in A4 ?

Thanks !

PAC

Jonathan West

Hi PAC,

"TricksOfMind" wrote in message
I have a doc of 700+ pages (a book indeed).
A long time ago hardly recovered from a master doc nightmare.

My conf is Word 2003, Windows XP, 660 Mb RAM

Although stable, I face the following issues :

It sounds like you are still not entriely clear of the master document
corruption. Have you taken a look at this article, and followed *all* the
steps in it?

How to recover a Master Document
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

-pagination takes more than ONE hour and happens frequently (eventhough I
check of auto paging), for instance if I need to preview (by the way I now
most often create a PDF : it takes the same time but I can reuse it)

Slow repagination can be caused by having a StyleRef field in the header or
footer. It might also be caused by having some corruption remain

- TOC are not fully updated anymore (only the page number is updated, even
if i check "full update"). I use a macro to do that. I have tens of TOC
(for instance one master at level 1 only, on between level 2 and 4 at each
start of a chapter, one full at the end). My TOC are delimited by "signet"
(sorry I am French) (signet is a named part of the document)

I would recommend that you split the document into separate files, one file
per chapter, and then use the techniques in the following article to manage
the TOCs and page numbering

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

- some picture diseappear from time to time and I have to reinclude them

That makes me think there is still corruption in there, unless you macros
doing the TOC are messing things up.

- the entry in my index keep the style of the text where I marked them and
do not take the style Index1,2, etc.

For each XE field in the document, select it and reset the font formatting.
Manual formatting in the XE field is reflexted in the index itself.

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

Robert M. Franz

TricksOfMind wrote:
[..]
Heard of any "cheap" on line service to get it printed in A4 ?

[..]

How often? Maybe Print-on-Demand would be something for you?

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS