Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Undine Undine is offline

Default blocked file

Whenever I try to open a file in Word 2007 that was created in my earlier
Word 2003, I get the message: "You are attempting to open a file in an
earlier version of Mocrosoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening
in this version by your registry policy setting." I'm told to create a
"safe" folder but it is unclear how to do this. Help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

This MS knowledge base article applies. Make sure you have backed up your
data if you decide to edit the registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810/

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Undine" wrote in message
news
Whenever I try to open a file in Word 2007 that was created in my earlier
Word 2003, I get the message: "You are attempting to open a file in an
earlier version of Mocrosoft Office. This file type is blocked from
opening in this version by your registry policy setting." I'm told to
create a "safe" folder but it is unclear how to do this. Help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:31:45 -0500, "Undine" wrote:

Whenever I try to open a file in Word 2007 that was created in my earlier
Word 2003, I get the message: "You are attempting to open a file in an
earlier version of Mocrosoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening
in this version by your registry policy setting." I'm told to create a
"safe" folder but it is unclear how to do this. Help.

Word 2003 documents shouldn't be blocked, but they might be if they started life
in a much earlier version and were carried forward.

Anyway, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810, especially the section "Use
a downloadable update to automatically re-enable all file types". You download a
file from one of the links there, save it to your hard drive, and double-click
it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman