Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John9210 John9210 is offline

Default Setup different page headers in templates

Word 2007. I like to create templates where the header on the first page is
different than on subsequent pages. For example, I only want the date on the
first page and only page numbers on subsequent pages. However, my templates
usually open with only one page. So, what I do when setting them up is force
them to have more than one page (say by adding lots of paragraph marks) and
then I format the second header different than the first one. Then I delete
all the paragraph marks to return to one page and save the template. Is there
a simpler way?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

John9210 wrote:
Word 2007. I like to create templates where the header on the first
page is different than on subsequent pages. For example, I only want
the date on the first page and only page numbers on subsequent pages.
However, my templates usually open with only one page. So, what I do
when setting them up is force them to have more than one page (say by
adding lots of paragraph marks) and then I format the second header
different than the first one. Then I delete all the paragraph marks
to return to one page and save the template. Is there a simpler way?

You might try reversing the order of operations:

- In the one-page template, first create the header/footer for pages 2 and
later (this is the "primary" header/footer).

- Then launch the Page Setup dialog and check the "Different first page"
box.

- When you click OK in the dialog, the primary header/footer will disappear.
Instead, you'll see the empty first-page header/footer. Create what you want
there, and save the template.

Word will remember the primary header/footer, which will appear whenever a
document reaches page 2.

The alternative is to continue what you're doing. Instead of a lot of
paragraph marks, you can put in a manual page break by pressing Ctrl+Enter,
and you can delete that to return to one page.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman