Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Susan F[_2_] Susan F[_2_] is offline

Default Table of Contents & References in Word 2007

I am writing a book with legal cases. I want the name of the case to appear
in the Table of Contents without the citation information, but I want both
the name of the case and the citation to appear in the Table of Cases.
I was able to do this in Word 2003 by using Heading Level 3 for the case
name and then inserting a TOC entry with the citation. I could see the entry
by displaying hidden text.
In Word 2007, hidden text does not seem to display the TOC entry and even
though I highlight the citation as well as the case name when I use "mark
citation" only the case name is included. I don't want to have to enter all
the citations by hand--surely there is a better way.
If you know how to do this, I would sure appreciate the help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you say you are "inserting a TOC entry with the citation," do you mean
you're inserting a TC field? You should be able to see TC fields when Hidden
text is displayed, but your TOC won't pick up TC fields unless you check the
box for "Table entry fields" in the TOC Options dialog.