Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
alphatango alphatango is offline

Default Find and Replace

I need to make bold the phrases and words that appear in all caps in a long
document. I thought I was doing okay in the find and replace area, but
nothing I try works.

Could it be that when inputting a document, unless one goes to the Font
dialog box and chooses the "all caps" option, caps won't showup in find and
replace using wildcards? I tried applying all caps that way and they were
found immediately, but in the document at hand, nothing I try finds them.
I'm sure they were applied by just holding down the cap lock.

Am I overlooking something simple?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
alphatango alphatango is offline

I'm putting ([*]@) in the Find box with formatting "not bold" and "all
caps"; and in the Replace box \1 formatted as all caps and bold.

Thanks for your reply, Suzanne.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What wildcard search string are you using?

"alphatango" wrote in message
I need to make bold the phrases and words that appear in all caps in a long
document. I thought I was doing okay in the find and replace area, but
nothing I try works.

Could it be that when inputting a document, unless one goes to the Font
dialog box and chooses the "all caps" option, caps won't showup in find
and
replace using wildcards? I tried applying all caps that way and they were
found immediately, but in the document at hand, nothing I try finds them.
I'm sure they were applied by just holding down the cap lock.

Am I overlooking something simple?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I thought you were searching for words that were already in capitals (typed
using Caps Lock) and formatting them as bold? The search string that you are
using searches for *everything.* Shouldn't you be using [A-Z]? See
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What wildcard search string are you using?

"alphatango" wrote in message
I need to make bold the phrases and words that appear in all caps in a
long
document. I thought I was doing okay in the find and replace area, but
nothing I try works.

Could it be that when inputting a document, unless one goes to the Font
dialog box and chooses the "all caps" option, caps won't showup in find
and
replace using wildcards? I tried applying all caps that way and they
were
found immediately, but in the document at hand, nothing I try finds
them.
I'm sure they were applied by just holding down the cap lock.

Am I overlooking something simple?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Instead, use the Find string

([A-Z]@)

and remove the "All caps" formatting, leaving only the "not bold" (which is
not strictly necessary but won't hurt).

In the Replace box, again remove the "All caps" formatting, leaving only the
"bold".

The "all caps" formatting is not what you think it is. It's a character
formatting that is separate from whether the characters were typed with the
Shift or Caps Lock pressed. The underlying characters with All Caps applied
may be either upper or lower case, but they will be _displayed_ as upper
case. If the characters were typed with Shift or Caps Lock on, but they
didn't have the All Caps formatting applied, your search wouldn't find them.

Note that a wildcard search is inherently case-sensitive. The expression
[A-Z] matches only characters that were typed in upper case -- which, as I
said, is a separate issue from the All Caps format.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What wildcard search string are you using?

"alphatango" wrote in message
I need to make bold the phrases and words that appear in all caps
in a long document. I thought I was doing okay in the find and
replace area, but nothing I try works.

Could it be that when inputting a document, unless one goes to the
Font dialog box and chooses the "all caps" option, caps won't
showup in find and
replace using wildcards? I tried applying all caps that way and
they were found immediately, but in the document at hand, nothing I
try finds them. I'm sure they were applied by just holding down the
cap lock.

Am I overlooking something simple?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
alphatango alphatango is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. I thought I was using all capitals in the search but I'll
sure take another look.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What wildcard search string are you using?

"alphatango" wrote in message
I need to make bold the phrases and words that appear in all caps in a
long
document. I thought I was doing okay in the find and replace area, but
nothing I try works.

Could it be that when inputting a document, unless one goes to the Font
dialog box and chooses the "all caps" option, caps won't showup in find
and
replace using wildcards? I tried applying all caps that way and they
were
found immediately, but in the document at hand, nothing I try finds
them.
I'm sure they were applied by just holding down the cap lock.

Am I overlooking something simple?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] askteam.mail@gmail.com is offline

On Jan 17, 11:10 pm, alphatango
wrote:
I need to make bold the phrases and words that appear in all caps in a long
document. I thought I was doing okay in the find and replace area, but
nothing I try works.

Could it be that when inputting a document, unless one goes to the Font
dialog box and chooses the "all caps" option, caps won't showup in find and
replace using wildcards? I tried applying all caps that way and they were
found immediately, but in the document at hand, nothing I try finds them.
I'm sure they were applied by just holding down the cap lock.

Am I overlooking something simple?

follow this link and you will see much more options to find & search
http://soi12.com/office/story.php?ti..._Find__Replace

SoiCom